PDA

View Full Version : Noob! Can anyone tell me where to start?

starbuck
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey, Folks,

I'm very new to this web developing lark - I can produce HTML stuff, and have a working knowledge of Dreamweaver, but with the idea I want to undertake, I have no idea where to start.

I want to produce a site of similar style to MySpace or YouTube (not the same) where the user can create their own pages, and upload files. This needs to be dynamic and without any kind of user intervention.

But where do I start?

I had the idea of allowing the user to define their own page on the site using a form based on templates I'd specify, but I'm not sure that this would give my users the greatest degree of control. Uploading of files would also be difficult in this situation.

Help!?

Col. :)

davidj
01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
start here

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/

domedia
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm guessing you're trying to chew over too much. If you are new to web development, you can't just read a tutorial and create a myspace/youtube kind of website.

chriskq
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
sounds pretty hectic what u want to do for a first time project starbuck.

My suggestion is build a core template for your homepage, then befriend a .Net guru or Php legend and persuade them to do all the backend code. Or you'll have to hire a freelance coder, sorry but theres no way you could do all of this urself, building one of those sites would take alot of experience.

youtube and myspace sites are visually appalling , but its the backend code that u dont c that preforms all the tricky and cool functionality.

unfortunatly theres no button pressing in dreamweaver that can do this for u :(

davidj
01-09-2007, 10:38 PM
if all your after is to understand this aproach and learn the skill to build this stuff then take your time and start with the basics. If this is your objective then there is no need to hire developers which would be completly pointless and require a sizable budget.

you need a good understanding of the grounding languages like HTML, CSS and Javascript. Once you start getting to grips with these you can then move onto some server side languages like PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, dotnet, RUBY and others. Its these languages that add the 2 way interaction to a site.

chriskq
01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
yes ur right Dj, sorry.. i guess i was thinking it was a project he wants to get completed and actually do.

domedia
01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
you need a good understanding of the grounding languages like HTML, CSS and Javascript. Once you start getting to grips with these you can then move onto some server side languages like PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, dotnet, RUBY and others. Its these languages that add the 2 way interaction to a site. and to put that in perspective, I've been doing this for many years and still have not finished this list, so you see starbuck, it's quite a task you've put upon yourself :)

starbuck
01-10-2007, 10:03 AM
and to put that in perspective, I've been doing this for many years and still have not finished this list, so you see starbuck, it's quite a task you've put upon yourself :)

Acknowledged, but you need to understand where to start if you want to learn anything new!

I'm actually an ex-game programmer (more management now), so I can actually code C and C++, the latter I understand is close to Java, so perhaps that will give me a head start...

What I really need is kinda a pointer to how to structure my learning toward this goal, like:

"...HTML pages to support the foundation of the site.
PHP to generate the new page and content and integration with the HTML site.
Java to handle the uploads and indexing of uploaded files.
PHP to take the indexing from the Java system and add the files to the original site...."

Of course, all the above was made up, as I don't have a clue, but I can't believe for one minute that in order to do something with user generated pages and file uploads I need to know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, dotnet, RUBY etc. I'm sure I can use perhaps HTML, CSS with maybe a little JS, but surely I'd only need to know one of PHP, ASP etc?

Guide me, guys! Don't just tell me that I need to learn everything and start from the bottom! :)

Col.

davidj
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
but I can't believe for one minute that in order to do something with user generated pages and file uploads I need to know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, dotnet, RUBY etc

you are correct. Really you only need an understanding of HTML, CSS and Javascript. The choice of a server side scripting language is upto you and as you are already a programmer then that is probably going to be the easiest. You can get away with just the one

all can use OOP methods and you may find dotnet supports C# (php is cheaper in the longrun)

i would sugest is to play around with Dreamweaver regarding your HTML and CSS learning curve. You need a good primer into these to get you started.

If you already have a grounding in these then see if you can follow the tuts on this site. It will be a doddle for someone with your experience