PDA

View Full Version : Design Size?

jasmine
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Happy New Year All! :)

I am just wondering what size you should design your site. It seems as though 800x600 is not the norm anymore...would I be wrong in saying so? Can someone give me a clear answer?

Thanks!

chriskq
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
thats true, but it also depends greatly on your intended audience. So if ur site is about the latest electronic gadget or internet application then designing ur site to higher than 800px wide would be very acceptable (as most of ur audience should have a decent lcd monitor)

at work i've recently helped design a few sites to a width of 990px. And this looks great on a 1280 resolution screen.
Example: http://deckcollector.com/

800px wide is still ok to design for, but when you start to use a big monitor with a resolution of 1980px wide, the webpage looks too small (thats where css can come in and you can have the same page use a different css)
eg: http://www.cooscreations.com/ (press the double arrow and pause button on the right side)

let us kno what u end up coming up with

domedia
01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Happy New Years to you as well Jasmine!

I still design for 800*600. Not because that's the norm (majority of users), but because many enough is still using that screen resolution. A lowest common denominator kinda principle. Look at your sever stats and see if it gives you information about your users screen resolution (it probably does not).

google.com/analytics/ is a great third party tool to give you that kind of information + tons more.

Alternatively, you can make a fluid/liquid design like this website, which will adjust to the browser width.

jasmine
01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
ah...so that would probably be why the website looks quite smaller on the other screens at work then. They are the same size as mine but I think their resolution might be different. I don't have stats as to what resolution my users are most commonly using though...
So how would I go about changing that in CSS? Is there a way to do it so that the site "adapts" to the resolution of the user? I'm getting quite comfortable with CSS so hopefully, it will be an easy edit! :)
Thanks!

domedia
01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
The basics is pretty easy, use relative widths instead of absolute widths.

jasmine
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
ok...I'll try that. Now, my next question is this:
My background is an image that is set in my "body" tag. Will it also resize to the resolution of the user?

jasmine
01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
When I change the positioning to relative, my layers move around...grrr. Why are they moving?

d a v e
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
there's this too that i came across today
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/switchymclayout

chriskq
01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
jasmine u do start to get into problems when using alot of relative positioning.

remember that anything inside a div that is positioned relative must be positioned absolute.

worry about getting ur site looking great 800px wide i reckon, then u can always add that extra functionality later on. Get a good solid (validated) basis first.

and show us what youv' come up with if u can put it online anywhere.

jasmine
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
that's what I was going to do anyway...It was just getting to be too much mucking aroung. I really would like to get it relative at some point, but that will be a project for another day. :P Thanks for the help guys! I will let you know when I am done...what a project and a half, I tell ya!