PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a simple connection question...

parallon
01-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Hello all. I had to reformat my pc because something weird happened with DW8. Anyways, when I was setting everything back up with my ODBC connections and getting DW to connect with the database, I noticed I was totally having issues. I had the following script which allows me to connect once uploaded on the remote server, but I couldn't test locally:

<%
Dim MM_timesheet_STRING
MM_timesheet_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/timesheet/Database/timecard.mdb")
%>
Although, I looked at some of my other connections scripts and found the following:

<%
' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' DesigntimeType="ADO"
' HTTP="true"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
Dim MM_timesheet_STRING
MM_timesheet_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/timesheet/Database/timecard.mdb")
%>
Well, as far as I can tell, the first 6 lines are the only difference, and they are commented out, but for some strange reason, DW seems to allow me to test locally with this. What's the reason for this?

Thanks,

Parallon

davidj
01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
try overwriting the one that dont work with the one that does

parallon
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I did that and all is fine, but I was just wondering why the first 6 lines made the difference? Does DW not treat them as commented lines?

Thanks,

parallon

davidj
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
as i am not a asp developer i am unfamiliar with an asp comment indicator

are you sure that those lines are being commented out?

i had a script a while ago (PHP) which wouldnt work on our live server but would on the test server. I did a few comparison checks and the results were as expected with no differerences being reported !!! ?

eventually after allot of hair pulling i copied the working script code and pasted that code into the dodgy page (did this after a few hours of trying everything elses!) and saved it off.

It worked!!

now what was that all about. Even my comparison check came up with the documents were the same even down to the spaces!

weird happenings!