PDA

View Full Version : Keeping navigation from changing sizes?

fishugly
12-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm sure this has been explained here a few times before but had no luck with a search.

At any rate, I'd like to keep certain areas of my site at a fixed size. For example, if you go to www.earthenexposure.com , I'd like to keep everything from "sculptures" to "about" on one line. In IE7, if the text size is set on anything but "smallest", some things go to two lines.

The same can be said with the navigation throughout the rest of the site. (here for example: http://www.earthenexposure.com/sculptures/home.htm) In this case, if the text size is on anything but "smallest" in IE7, "weaponry" gets seperated from "primitive" and is put on the second line. In other words, I'd like "sculptures" to "primitive weaponry" to remain on the upper line and "links", "index" and "about" to remain on the second line.

Is there a relatively easy fix to this issue?

d a v e
12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
it's not an issue it's an accessibility requirement that users can resize their text. you can sort of lock it down by using pixels in ie but it's still possible for users to get round it and everyone in other browsers can resize it. using images would get around any resizing but wouldn't be accessible for users that require larger text than normal

looks like you'll just have to have it on 2 lines
also you have the last links links index about in their own div which pushes things down on to 3 lines! when you increase text size

reducing your font size a bit for the those 2 lines means they should fit in ie (and others) at a default font size

fishugly
12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Dave,

I thought about using an image to fix the size but didn't know how or if it was possible then to have multible clickable places on one image. Is that possible and if so, how?

Also, speaking of IE7 default font size, do you know what that is? I assume it's medium?

Thanks.