PDA

View Full Version : Mail servers and PHP

Eiolon
12-21-2006, 06:54 PM
The company I work for uses the e-mail addresses provided by its ISP (Mediacom) for their e-mail and do not have their own internal mail server such as Exchange.

So basically they just use the incoming/outgoing mail servers of their ISP to send and receive email.

I am developing a PHP help desk and when someone submits a ticket an e-mail is sent to the technician. Can I just use an email account from the ISP and its mail servers or do I need to setup a mail server internally to do this?

Their application is hosted internally on a box running Win2K3, Apache and PHP5/MySQL5. Thanks!

davidj
12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
if your hosting the application on the ISP or a Hosting company then you can use the php mail functions straight out of the box

php needs access to sendmail binary assuming your on a unix platform

Eiolon
12-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Okay. This application is hosted on an internal server (not the ISP's webspace or a web host). It is, however, using the ISP for its internet connection. It is also using Win2K3 not Unix. Does this make a difference with sending email from it?

davidj
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
your going to need a mail server then

you need something to handle the mail

i would just host this application externaly using a dedicated php hosting company

you can get some really cheap hosting deals now a days