PDA

View Full Version : Drop Down Menu Nightmares

randall
12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm revamping my 65 page site and adding drop down menus that I have no experience with. It is very difficult to figure this out...

I have created a java menu using behaviours that I'm happy with.
However, neither copying and pasting or using it as a library item
work when I try to use the menu on another page - it shows up but
without any drop down items available. I have no previous experience with library or template creation - I don't think template creation will work anyway unless I have the right code to allow for global updating....

Bottom line is I need to make global changes easily ala css - but how do you apply this to a drop down menu ? Will global changes work with java or does it have to be entirely css (right now I can't even copy it successfully so doubt it)

I have literally read for hours and have not been able to figure out the 1-2-3 of how to get this done. Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me how I can create a horizontal drop down menu that will allow for global changes ? Is there any easy way to convert my existing java menu ?
I have played around with the context menu and am getting nowhere...

best regards
Randall

davidj
12-19-2006, 09:23 AM
are these dropdown fields or dhtml

domedia
12-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome randall!
Java is not editable in Dreamweaver, bit I hope you mean Javascript as Java has been pretty much abandoned for use in navigation.

Make sure you give enough technical info on what you're trying to do:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23515

Did you read our primer on how to create drop down menus?
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-dhtml-menu.php

randall
12-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Hello

thanks a lot for your responses.
I'm using javascript - + behaviour / show pop up menus....don't think this is dthml - again, I'm no expert...

I started working through that tutorial. Because its layers I suspect it will
not centre for me within my table - my site is tables with css...

Again, is there a way for me to use the method I'm using and make it globally updatable ? I totally understand css in terms of how it works re changing the css file and it updates the styles sitewide - what I can't comprehend is how this works with menus ? Obviously easy global updating is key so how do I accomplish this ? Will the use of a library item achieve this ?

Is there a horizontal template menu that I can use to start at a good template ? The tutorial is great but I can see it taking me 5 hours to create a menu plus as mentioned, I know the layers will not centre on my page...

thanks again
Randall

davidj
12-21-2006, 05:56 AM
The tutorial is great but I can see it taking me 5 hours to create a menu

so your saying you want a pre-written menu that takes only 5 mins to setup?

neonfluxx
12-21-2006, 05:58 AM
I ran across this same problem a couple of week ago. I contact DW support. The answer i got made a lit of sense.

Answer:

Library is made for simple navigation or placing any item on several pages even if the don't look alike. So what you should do is create the template of your page and place the drop down menus there. Then you will only have top apply the template to each page.

I could do a VTM if you like.

davidj
12-21-2006, 06:05 AM
I could do a VTM if you like.

always looking for new content

randall
12-21-2006, 05:43 PM
still looking for some specific answers...
1) the layers tutorrial template will not work (ie centre on my page with tables) YES or NO

2) using behaviours will not allow me to do sitewide updates without editing
every page - YES or NO

Not sure what VTM is but anything that will help will be appreciated
and of course, a template that I can just adjust easily would be very much helpful

randall
12-21-2006, 05:44 PM
btw, here is a link to my site - if anyone has any general input....

www.clarkekoi.com

davidj
12-21-2006, 06:21 PM
its very content heavy which is not a bad thing

koi carp is an excellent subject for a great design. I dont think you have the balance right between content and design