PDA

View Full Version : Image / Layer Opacity...Achievable ???

mark4man
12-17-2006, 02:26 PM
People...

I had an idea for a background to our band's MySpace page (we just released our debut CD); & that was to link to a web page on my test server that displayed numerous photos & images of the band…at a very light opacity...to make them appear veiled & washed out.

I know that, for example...I can place a photo or image in an Illustrator or Photoshop layer; & then scale back the opacity.

But can this be accomplished in Dreamweaver?

If not...can it be achieved thru any sort of html manipulation?

Thanks very much,

mark4man
Dreamweaver MX
Dreamweaver MX 2004

BTW - Please forgive me for past posts in which I have not responded or came back & thanked a respondent. I am very appreciative of all the help I have received here...& want everyone to know it. Thanks again.

davidj
12-17-2006, 09:34 PM
im not sure if there is an advanced style which would do this

cant you just do this in photoshop or fireworks

chriskq
12-18-2006, 01:06 AM
yes this can be achieved thru html and css if you use the image as a background-image.

eg css code
#divName {
filter: alpha(opacity=80);
-moz-opacity: .80;
opacity: .80;
background-image: url(http://photobucket......)
}

but remember anything inside that div now will have inherrited the opacity of the wrapping div.

thats why its prolly better to save out the image with opacity like DJ said above.

ps- the 80 means 80% opaque, lower the number, the more opaque it will become. all 3 are needed settings are needed (1 for IE, 2 for mozilla 3 for safari)

davidj
12-18-2006, 06:13 AM
personaly i wouldnt do this using css

its equivalent to sizing your images using HTML

your far better off using a graphics tool to do this

mark4man
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks...

Well...guess what...the tech geeks (not support, but in their forum) over at MySpace are telling me it's impossible to create a background by linking to an html page on another server. They say that, instead...I have to create one big graphic (made up of all my individual images)...& link to that.

Is this true? I could have sworn that linking to an off-site url was possible. The placement of the code over there (MySpace) goes into the user's profile; & looks like typical code to me...with css & everything. I don't get it.

Thanks,

mark4man

domedia
12-19-2006, 02:15 PM
a background image cannot be a html page, it's has to be a graphic.

mark4man
12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
diomedia...

Thanks....guess they're right.

I do see, tho (all the time) backgrounds made up of multiple photos & graphic images. How is that accomplished without having a huge file size?

For example...at MySpace Music...Steely Dan used to have a background that displayed all their album releases over the years, interspersed w/ photos of the band. There must be dozens of them. Now, 72 ppi is 72 ppi...& a graphic 14" wide X 20" high must be of a huge size, correct? Yet that page loads lickety split...I don't get it...I must be doing something wrong.

mark4man

davidj
12-19-2006, 02:50 PM
i think you must be talking about slicing which is done from a graphics tool like photoshop or fireworks

it allows you to slice a large image into bits then reconstitute it using an HTML table

domedia
12-19-2006, 04:13 PM
jpg, gif and png all have optimization built into the image format

mark4man
12-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your help...

What I eventually did was to lay out the entire multiple image page in Illustrator (to be at least comfortable with image resizing)...then I exported the entire page as a big .TIF, opened that in Photoshop, comitted the background to it's own layer & washed out the opacity 50% (& then saved it as a .JPG for the web.)

Thanks again,

mark4man