PDA

View Full Version : Opening External Link in own Web Site

ibmeubu
12-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Here's my scenerio: I am building a real estate site where I am given a link that opens up a web page that I have no real control over in regards to html editing. It is a search page link where the client can fill in the blanks and get results based on the input. If I just put a link in it takes me out of my site to a page that has no header or navigational properties. What I am trying to do is to have it open in one of my pages that already have my header info and other links for the website. It doesn't have to be the current page, just a page with my info. I am using the Dreamweaver 8 Suite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ramandeep
12-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi,
You can use an "iframe" to do this
In your HTML page include this
-----------------------------------------------------------
<iframe src="webpage.htm" width="400px" height="400px">
<p>Content within the iframe tags will be viewed on browsers that do not support iframes and ignored by those that do support iframes.</p>
</iframe>
------------------------------------------------------------

To explain this
<iframe> Inline frames allow the inclusion of web documents (and even entire web sites) within a subwindow of a parent web page.

attributes
src: the page which you want to include in your page
width and height: specify as you want.

you should ensure that the alternative content (the content between the iframe tags) is useful. In most cases, you should provide a link to the content that is presented within the iframe so that the user can access it directly.

I hope this will make things clear

chriskq
12-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Why dont you start from scratch instead of trying to work your way around using frames.... you'll run into more problems im sure.

what kind of page are you look to build
fluid (fill screen width)
or fixed width (centered or left-sided)

frames are pretty horrid to work with in my opinion.

ramandeep
12-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Chris, normally many real estate companies link to a central database where properties are listed.

It will be a huge task for ibmeubu to make a real estate listing system than using it simply with an iframe.

As far as i think he is trying to make that listing system to appear in his page.

ibmeubu
12-20-2006, 07:33 AM
ramandeep, you are exactly right in regards to the link and the central database. I can't change anything as it is only a link. My site is a pretty basic html site and the only page that will be different from the rest is the one page that has the search. One page with frames shouldn't be a problem. The only other pages that are different are ones that contain some php for forms. And, of course, there will be a little flash to show off all of those cool homes. I'll try the iframe and see what happens. It should do the trick. Thanks for the tip. :)