PDA

View Full Version : Color - cell background vs. image background

Carter
12-14-2006, 06:51 PM
The header image for my "work in progress" webpage was created using photoshop7, saved as a webpage via ImageReady. Switching to DW MX, I deleted some slices and replaced those old image cells background with the hex decimal color "DBDAC6" to match the image background (PBC..). However, on the page the image color and the cell background colors look differently even though they have the same hex decimal colors on my monitor But, on a co-worker's computer the colors on the page looks the same. Both browsers are IE6.0. Can anyone tell me why these colors appear different?

You can see the page posted at
http://www.sbcvallejo.org/pbc2006/pbc2006a.html

A second logo was copied in the center image so you can see the difference in the backgrounds colors. The center section, where I set the background color, looks a couple of shades lighter compared to the left side and top borders of the page.

Assuming the browser is the problem and is displaying the page differently, what can I do to correct this for those using Firefox, Netscape, and etc?

Thanks.

domedia
12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Looks perfect in FF and IE7 here.

But I know what you're talking about. What are your monitor color settings, 16bit? If so turn up to 32 bit.

Carter
12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Domedia,

You are right! I made the setting change and reloaded the page and looks fine. But, I am concerned for the 16 Bit visitors. I don't want my site to look like swiss cheese or paint by numbers for viewers to the site. Is there a workaround for those using 16bit settings?

I appreciate it tip. I certainly did not think about my video setting. Thanks

Carter

chriskq
12-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Yes there is a way to get around viewers with older monitors not seeing washed up colours... and that is to use only web-only colors for everything in your site.
This includes, text/images/bg colors etc.

if u have photoshop, there is a checkbox in the color palette to show web-only colors. If you dont have photoshop, you be able to find it somwhere on the web. (or download GIMP... freeware graphic software)

but anyone with an older monitor like is semi living in the stone age. If your going to cater for them, you should prolly browser test in IE 5 and netscape 6.2

have fun with that.

d a v e
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
also you can't guarantee colour fidelity with jpeg -you often get slight mismatches between backgrounds - either use a gif (if you can get it to reproduce your drop shadow/blends) or try lowering the amount of compression (i.e. use a slightly higher quality) for your jpeg

domedia
12-15-2006, 01:13 PM
The problem is caused by the color being made by 2 different programs, the image is made in photoshop and the rendered background color from your browser. In 16bit they might display a little different, even if you're using the 216 color web palette. There's nothing really you can do about it. Because of this problem, there's really only a handful of 'web safe' color, 19 I think it was. I'm not kidding :)

People that are concerned about this make sure that they gif's use transparent background, that way there's no clash in color.

Carter
12-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I saved the image as a transparent gif. Before saving, the color or background in Photoshop7 was removed - made sure layer1 was clear - but the saved image has a white background. So I must have missed a step. I will work on this.

Thank you for the information. Take care.

Carter