PDA

View Full Version : Search engine mulitple part question

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 08:52 AM
I have to preface this question with... if there is an answer I do need "step by step" instructions on how to do it. I'm green. I don't even know if this is a possibility or is something that needs an advanced web programmer (and lots of bucks.)

OK, here it is;

I have a map on my website, say it is similar to a map of he world. I want to put a search engine on my site that people can type in a word or words such as a city or even a street name and when they do, any area of the map on my site that contains the word or part of the search words they are searching for will light up or blink. The areas that light up of course, are links that the searcher can click on to see if that is the city or street they are really looking for.

I do know of course from using search engines that when your search is broad a multiple list will be returned, BUT, rather then having a list returned, is there a way to just make the parts of the map that contain the search parameters just "blink?"

I know the above is a bit redundant but I want to make it clear exactly what I want to do. Rather then a "list" of results, I want the points on the map that match the search words or parameters to just blink.

Any help, or even if you can point me to a site that does something similar to this would appreciated. If it's to complicated to respond here but you do know how I can do it, please email me at "filmaker2000@yahoo.com"

Thanks for any help.
Biff

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Also need to know how to respond if a user were to type in a word that wasn't included in my map I.E. what would be a good way to show "no results, try another search word"

davidj
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
the cheapest and easiest method would be to use a third party product like

http://www.freefind.com/

http://www.searchblox.com/

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the links but I don't want to waste time downloading, learning and applyng a new program if it won't do everything I need. Do you know first hand if the results from the search using one of these programs will result in parts or the map on my site blinking, rather then just return a list of results?

davidj
12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
you are looking for a bespoke system developed from scratch i think

If your set on blinking and it is a map / street directory then the best way to do this would be to use flash i think

is this a visual map directory thingy you have in mind where you could locate shops and services ? (trying to get it right in my mind)

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm trying to broadly explain what I need because it is a new marketing idea but yes it is a type of visual map that would blink on whatever was searched for. If flash is the way, do you have any idea of a step by step approach to do that? thanks

davidj
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
flash is what you would use to produce your navigation and animation

it depends on so many variables. If this is going to be quite a large application then you will be needing it to be dynamic with regards to adding services and then linking them to map areas or co-ords. Your going to need an interface that requires a user to simply add and edit without the need for any coding experience. Your going to have to store all this data so your going to have to utilise technologies like a database and a scripting language like PHP

this is not something a developer could do a walk through with as he would, in effect, be building your application.

if this is of an Entrepreneurial venture then you need to speak to a team or at least a good developer. Speak to a developer in your area to get a better idea of cost and complexity ( i may well be over complicating what your after)

time scales and budgets is also a major factor

if your brand new to this stuff and you intend to do this yourself then that could be like swiming with your arms and legs tied together

domedia
12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Just want to agree with dj here. You're looking for a seasoned flash application developer. They don't come cheap, but I'm sure you have a decent budget for this already.