PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid question

djoutcry
12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
im done making my website on dreamweaver...and i would like to purchase a .com site and upload my dreamweaver file (?) or html files...

how do i do this...

can anyone walk me through this? i'm new at web design. i just want to purchase a .com domain, and get my dreamweaver stuff on there.

thanks in advance :)

neonfluxx
12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Ok, I will try to answer this as best i can.

Go to www.aplus.net and pay to reserver the name there. You need to do a search on that site and then it will lead you through the payment process. I choose them cause they are cheap.

Are you on Windows or Apple? Because you need a ftp program.

Windows: I recommend Filezilla. Download it hear: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558

Mac: I recommend Cyberduck: Download it here: http://cyberduck.ch/

You will need to build a new site profile in which ever one you choose. There are instructions on the respected sites. Both of these are programs are free.

Have a good day,
Neon

djoutcry
12-12-2006, 11:55 PM
hey thanks for the reply

i'll try that and reply if anything

thanks

neonfluxx
12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
No problem. I am new here to but have been in the business for years. I like this place it seems pretty cool and i like to help people.

Who is the owner of this place anyway.

Neon

djoutcry
12-13-2006, 12:28 AM
hey that's cool, i'm liking it here too.

Well i'm pretty sure the administrator goes by the name "domedia"

davidj
12-13-2006, 12:39 AM
your correct guys and im sure he'll be along introducing himself shortly

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi, you can certainly acquire webhosting from anyone just check them out, but if you designed your site in dreamweaver you don't need another program to upload your site. Just define your site and upload straight from DW

davidj
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi, you can certainly acquire webhosting from anyone just check them out, but if you designed your site in dreamweaver you don't need another program to upload your site. Just define your site and upload straight from DW

yes thats possible and DW does have a built in FTP client

i work like this. I have my local dir and a remote as standard setup but the remote just points to my testing server which is where i build the site and debug as i progress. I FTP using SMART to our pre production machine where unit testing takes place and bugs are flushed out (dreamweaver does not have any interaction with this machine) then, once signed off its ftp'd to our live machine (an exact copy of pre production)

dreamweaver to us is a development tool and if you use your live host space as your remote dir then that becomes a testing evironment which can be seen by the world. Its ok i supose if your building a site on your favorate Cat but if your dealing with something a bit more serious then i would employ a better method

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
You can point your working site to your local sever while you develop then when you're satisfied that everthing is OK change the settings and upload to your site for the world to see. If i'm wrong, someone please correct me because that is what I've been doing all along.

davidj
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
thats fine filmaker. people just work differently. as long as it works for you

filmaker2000
12-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you are a pro and have a lot at your disposal, But the guy asking the question, sounded like someone that just wanted to upload his site that he already developed on DW. Why point him all over, the easiest way is to just use the pro tools DW gives you.

davidj
12-13-2006, 11:30 AM
ok

imagine im not a pro and do this from my spareroom....
i have my working site in DW and change the site settings to upload it live.

im testing it live and notice i dont like a font or a text size or the image i have maybe would be better this way or that way etc etc

do i constantly keep changing my site definitions to then start editing every time i need to then change them back to the live machine?

its easier to use a FTP client to upload to the live machine

local < DREAMWEAVER> remote (developing)

remote (developing) < FTP CLIENT > LIVE HOST

domedia
12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Who is the owner of this place anyway.
Well i'm pretty sure the administrator goes by the name "domedia" Welcome to the forums djoutcry! Ove is my real name, excile norwegian working in a web dev company in Michigan. Cheers and enjoy the forums 8)

chriskq
12-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Im with you Dj.

you have to keep areas environment areas seperate.

my process is that i
1. develop and test on localhost.
2. upload to staging server so client can test and review.
(once i get ok from client)
3. upload to live using ftp and remote desktop.

things only start to get tricker when you get cvs (version control system) into play

if doms a excile norwegian then im a l337 Aussie