PDA

View Full Version : Duotones in FireWorks

triplemoons
12-11-2006, 03:50 AM
I must be crazy, but I can not find a Duotone function in FireWorks. I need to take an image I have and create an Orange & Blue duotone out of it. Does FireWorks have this capability? I searched the help and came up blank for "duotone."

Thank you in advance! :)

Andromeda
12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi Triplemoons. I'm unsure what you mean by duotones but wonder if gradient does the same thing. In the colour palette select "fill options". Use the dropdown menu to change the solid to gradient. From there you will get different gradient patterns. Choose the edit option to change the colours. Hope this helps. I'm using FW8.

triplemoons
12-11-2006, 09:58 AM
No, Duotones & Gradients are two completely different things.

I think maybe Duotone is an inappropriate term for web as I know we use it in the printing industry.

du·o·tone
– adjective
1. of two tones or colors.
–noun
2. a picture in two tones or colors.
3. Printing.
a. a method of printing an illustration either in a dark and a tinted shade of the same color or in two different colors from two plates of a monochrome original made from negatives at different screen angles.
b. an illustration printed by this method.

This is a duotone (useing Cyan & Black):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Volunteer_Park_Blues.jpg

Thank you for taking a shot at my question though! :)

domedia
12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Duotone is the right description I think. I don't think Fireworks has it actually.

There's extensions that can add this functionality:
http://www.phireworx.com/content/tutorials/fw_mx/fx_mx_mono.asp

triplemoons
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not paying for an extension for something that should already be in the software. Thank you for the link though.

Duotones are not uncommon, I'm not understanding why it wouldn't already be in the software. Photoshop has it. My Photoshop is currently not working (it's on a HD that was not hooked up properly so I can not access it), so I was looking for the solution in FireWorks.

Andromeda
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Would you be able to get the same sort of effect using the colour fill option???? Maybe???

triplemoons
12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
I thought that too. :)

I attempted it useing the color fill option & layers. I was unsuccessful. :(

I think it would work for black and another color, but not orange & blue.

davidj
12-12-2006, 06:04 AM
you need a swiss army knife

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24633

triplemoons
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
If you're referring to Photoshop, I have it but no access to it at the moment (see post #5).

I haven't used Illustrator since I was in college, does that have a Duotone function? From memory, I don't believe it does.

davidj
12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
im not sure it does

its a vector based design tool so i think not

Andromeda
12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
davidj, I like your avatar.

davidj
12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks

just moved the TV to the other end of the room, changed my sofa position and moved the hifi so thought i need a new avitar as well