PDA

View Full Version : Please help diagnose my web site.

fishugly
12-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi,

For all but one minor thing (I'll ask about that in another post), every thing views as I want it to in FF 1.5.0.8. IE7 is a different story. View this page in both browsers and you'll see: http://www.earthenexposure.com/hometest.htm
The gray text on the right is supposed to be on one line. It appears too big in IE7 and forces it in two lines.

A similar but more critical problem can be seen by clicking on "permaculture"...the only working link so far.
In IE7, the gray text in the menu on the upper right pops out of place...as if far too big.

I hope there's a fix to this problem that isn't too involved. This is my first attempt at building a website and I can tell you, it's not my cup of tea.

Any suggestions?

edbr
12-09-2006, 06:22 AM
I checked in both browsers and it looks ok

domedia
12-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Tested in IE7 and FF, looks fine here as well.

d a v e
12-09-2006, 03:43 PM
looked ok for me and the only html errors were missing alt attrbitutes - which you need to put in ;)

fishugly
12-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Really? Wow...that's a relief...but I'm perplexed. Why would it not view properly on my IE7? On this link...

http://www.earthenexposure.com/permaculture/home.htm

..."sculptures", "permaculture", "ecofurnishings", etc, etc in the menu bar on the upper right are too big and out of place (not lining up). Does it have something to do with my IE7 settings and if so, how do I fix it?

As always, all the help I get here is appreciated. And a huge thanks for this board...to whom ever is responisble....domedia?

EDIT. Dave, I posted before I saw your reply. Please excuse my ignorance but what are "alt attrbitutes" and why do I need them and how do I put them in? Thanks for your help.

d a v e
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
you need them for people without images turned (hardly anyone but still;), those with slower connections (and faster ones) will see the alt text until the picture loads, and for those using screen readers who cannot see the screen need it to describe simply what they are missing.

so e.g for your logo when you have the image selected in DW if you look in the properties panel you'll see a box in the top right where you can put the alt text.

domedia
12-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Why would it not view properly on my IE7? There's really no way for us to know that (your browser, your machine), but one reason could be that you've set your font sizes in the browser to display larger. In that case it's not an error, but a feature ;)

fishugly
12-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Great. Thanks, Dave.

Domedia,

My pages in IE6 viewed fine & when I loaded IE7, didn't go in & purposely change any settings. And I just looked under Internet Options thinking I might find the problem but nothing seemed obvious...like "font sizes". Any other ideas?

Thanks.

domedia
12-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Page -> Text Size

fishugly
12-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Damn, that was complicated. No wonder I couldn't figure it out... :oops:

At any rate, that fixed it. Thanks!