PDA

View Full Version : Text content and images

stag
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Ok, I will try and explain this as best as i can, but im very new to this game :)

Say I have a simple webpage with images and word content. The page is for information purposes and will be the same page regardless of which pages are views apart from images and text. Now, is it possible to box the text in its own table so instead of visiting a seperate page, the only thing that changes is the text in the box rather than loading to new page. The same for images too...

Cheers all,
Stag

gmcrone
12-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Yes and no. But mostly no.

This is not the standard way of the how web sites work.
Normally each "section" of content is considered a separate page for many reasons.
If all your content is basically one page, that page would be very large and take too long to download for your users. (It could be done using a hide/show behavior)
If your web site is only one page, your search engine placement would be almost non-existent.

If what you want is a consistent look to your pages, then I suggest you take a look at Dreamweaver templates, or using a technology like SSI or PHP includes for a more dynamic site.

Mike...

stag
12-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Thx - Ok so to make my website have this kind of feel (see http://www.state-of-undress.com/ sorry, its the only example website i can think off at presen), I wold need to learn the stuff to make things dynamic. So, this website, it has effectively the main page with only images and text loading. Would utilising and learning PHP make me able to try this as this is the kind of feel I would like for my site (and i know it will take some time)

Cheers

gmcrone
12-09-2006, 04:47 AM
That site is written entirely in Flash.
You will need to purchase Flash and learn how to program in it if this is the type of site you want.

Mike...

stag
12-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Ahh right, i thought some was flashed up but not the entire site. Should have looked at the page source. My partner happens to know quite a bit on flash so is it possible to embed elements like the graphic and text box and if so, would this greatly affect search engine placement compared to non flash sites?

domedia
12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
My partner happens to know quite a bit on flash so is it possible to embed elements like the graphic and text box If he knows quite a bit of flash, yes absolutely. If you're unsure, just ask him if he knows how to do it.
and if so, would this greatly affect search engine placement compared to non flash sites? Search engines cannot read swf files, so that would be a 'yes' imho.