PDA

View Full Version : keeping a layer in the same place as everything else

becky gelke
12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi guys.

Big problem thats driving me mad. I have created a site, and put a flash menu on a new layer setting the mode of the menu to trnasparent so it works over the existing content, all well and good, unfortunatey I cant get the additional layer to stay in the position I want it to stay, any help on this would be so appreciated, I am going out of my mind with frustration, I always try to solve my own probs and really only do ask for advice when I am truly stuck.............which I am now!!
Thanks if you can help.

ramandeep
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Post your code or best will be if you give us a link to your page!

becky gelke
12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Post your code or best will be if you give us a link to your page!

Sorry I meant to do that and forgot. Site is here http://www.powersportswa.com.au/testpage.html
Nothing works on it as yet, and the menu isnt finished etc etc, I am also sure I have several tags wrong too, if anyone can see that. The layer that is there at the moment, is positioned so it looks perfect on my monitor, but I doubt it does on anyone elses. Here is how it looks (and how I want it to look) on my monitor www.powersportswa.com.au/images/screencap.jpg When complete the menu will be full width, but I need it in that extra layer, then I can have content in the top half of the site. Butons are still configured to their default settings of the site I purchased the menu through.

Thanks ever so much if anyone can sort this for me.

kona72
12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
what about using percentages in the CSS versus pixel? That way it will be the same on all screens?

domedia
12-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Someone needs to write a tutorials on how to use absolute positioning.. this is an ongoing problem.. :(

ramandeep
12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Dom, i will do it this weekend , will be over to you!

becky gelke
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
what about using percentages in the CSS versus pixel? That way it will be the same on all screens?

I have no idea how to do that, I knew it was to do with absolute positioning, and I have read some stuff about that, I simply dont know how to do it :(

Is there not a small piece of code I can add to that page that tells the table where to sit.......and not move? Please help if you can.

chriskq
12-07-2006, 09:17 PM
how about dont position the div that is wrapping your swf absolute.
is what you have

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:757px; height:155px; z-index:1; left: 172px; top: 119px">

take of the position absolute and the left and top values.

why not just create another row (<tr>) under your banner and put the swf in there?

becky gelke
12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
how about dont position the div that is wrapping your swf absolute.
is what you have

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:757px; height:155px; z-index:1; left: 172px; top: 119px">

take of the position absolute and the left and top values.

why not just create another row (<tr>) under your banner and put the swf in there?

OK I have removed the position absolute, but all that does is move the blah blah blah text down to be below the menu, which isnt what I want, I need text right up underneath the menu and then have the menu slide over that text, which is why I have the layer as transparent. So sorry to be thick, but could you simply spell it out for me (I know you have already, but its early here in Perth) and just write the code exactly as I should write it. Thanks for your help and sorry I dont understand :(