PDA

View Full Version : Sizing My Web Page

FREAK
12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty new web development, so I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself, but I need some help with sizing my web pages. I've been trying to create a site with dimensions in percentages instead of pixels. I really want the website to look exactly the same (or at least real close anyway) regardless of the resolution of the viewers monitor. This is actually a site for a smalle business, so I need the pictures to be pretty crisp as well, while still keeping the file sizes down. Anyone have any suggestions? If the only way to do what I'd like to is by creating the page with percentages as dimensions instead of pixels, then does anyone have any suggestions for greater efficiency or quality? Thanks in advance!!!

domedia
12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi freak and welcome to the forum!
I think your reasoning is good. Using percentages will not decrease the quality or efficiency of your website.

kona72
12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey Freak,

I need the pictures to be pretty crisp as well, while still keeping the file sizes down. Anyone have any suggestions?

Keep this in mind when you are creating your graphics images.

GIF format - good for line drawings and simple clipart illustrations, not that effective for high quality images. Supports transparency and generally the smallest file size.

JPEG format - good for photos and higher quality graphics. Can display gradients well but cannot support transparency. Generally a bit larger file size

PNG format - Best display, supports transparency, displays gradients perfectly and all around looks great. Largest file size...

Hope this helps as well...

Use the save for web command in Photoshop when saving your images and then use the 4-up display to compare the 3

FREAK
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't have Photoshop at all...I use fireworks. Is there a save for web option in there? If so...what about the file does it change?

kona72
12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi Freak,

Sure you can use Fireworks. All the save for web option does is downgrade the image to 72dpi. It also allows you to choose between the 3 formats.

Have a look at this link www.trafick.net/fireworks.htm i have of a screen shot of Fireworks to see if it helps...

FREAK
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Very cool...thank you much :D