PDA

View Full Version : What are the most often used Internet browsers?

fishugly
12-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I pulled out half my hair late last winter trying to get my web site to view properly in the then latest Firefox, Netscape and Internet Explorer 6 (the primary trouble maker). You don't know how relieved I was when I finally got things sorted out. All veiwed just as I intended. Then, I load IE7 and guess what? Things are screwed up again. Arrrgggg......

I'm having enough difficulties as it is just trying to get my site on the web. My question is: are enough internet users going to be using IE7 in the year 2007 that I should be concerned...or should I focus my time on getting my site up on the web and worry about compatibility issues later? Also, is there a web site out there that shows what percentage of current internet users are using which browsers?

Any advice, wisdom or words of encouragement appreciated.

BTW. IE7 doesn't render my site useless but things sure aren't pretty....

domedia
12-04-2006, 07:53 PM
My question is: are enough internet users going to be using IE7 in the year 2007 that I should be concerned... I think the answer to that is a definate 'yes'. A quick look at some statistics from larger websites indicates that (right now) there are more IE7 users than Firefox (any version) and safari users put together. And the number is bound to increase as more people purchase computers with IE7 already installed.

1. IE7 is flagged as a automatic update. Many, many, many Windows systems are set to automatically download automatic updates. All these systems are running IE7 right now.

2. If you know more and more people are going to use IE7, it's wise to do your changes sooner than later.

davidj
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
took the liberty of grabing that stats image from this site

sorry. I misread the post but i will leave the image there for reference

domedia
12-04-2006, 08:17 PM
You bring up an interesting point though, davidj, because the other stats I just looked at is pretty different than the stats for dreamweaverclub.com.

Fishugly, it pretty much depends on your target audience. For a larger tourist website, which caters almost entirely to american families alone, I have one set of stats for browser usage so far in November, while for this site dreamweaverclub.com, that stats are quite different, mainly because (I think) our audience is 1. international and 2. technology related.

I'll attach each screenshot here so you can compare:

markthedoc
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
It's all good practice getting your site to work in all browsers, if a little annoying!
I'd say it's definitely worth worrying about IE7 though. With Vista being launched to the mainstream in January, which will come with IE7 as standard, that's only a few week away after all.

fishugly
12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks everyone. The quick and sound replies I get on this board are much appreciated.

Deep down, I know what the right thing to do is...fix the blasted thing. Perhaps by describing my problem, someone will be able to give me some idea of what's going on and which direction to take.

I can replicate the IE7 problem in FF by enlarging my text (ctrl & mouse wheel). What happens is that the words in my menu bar get to a point in size that they pop out of their spaces (tables in my case). When I first saw this problem in IE7, I thought "no problem, I'll just do ctrl/mouse wheel and shrink the text so it falls back into place". Doesn't happen. Everything shrinks but the words in my menu bar still stay out of place. Am I making any sense?

Any ideas here?

domedia
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Post a new thread in the Dreamweaver section, with full url (technical question = need to see code)
That way we keep things organized and easy for other people to find as well.

fishugly
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks, domedia. As soon as I'm able, I will post a URL.