PDA

View Full Version : using SSL as payment scheme

chriskq
12-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Hi all,
has anyone had any experience in achieving a secure visa payment system on a website.
Basically just trying to do some scoping for a project i havn't said yes to. I kno i can fudge the shopping total to a paypal link... but then that would require the user to sign up to paypal and i'd like to avoid that.

http://nerdyshirts.com/
is a good simple example of what i'd like to achieve. (i hate the design of this site thou and dont like the fact that you have to login or register with that site too)

any opinions/tutorials/comments are very muchly welcomed with open arms

davidj
12-04-2006, 08:41 AM
this depends on if your client can process card payments

setting up a SSL is only part of it

You need to encrypt the card details then decypher at the other end wether that be an Admin area of the application ? You need to validate the card numbers but there are scripts that can do that for you

have you looked at a shop in a box which has all this built in? you just need to turn some buttons and slide some sliders and voila your up and running

This has all your cred card stuff bult in and can work with all payment processes including Merchant Accounts, paypal, worldpay etc

try this if your interested

http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

domedia
12-04-2006, 01:06 PM
What you're looking for is a third party payment processor, the link between your clients bank and the customers bank.

A economic alternative is authorize.net, they should also have plenty of info how to implement their solution.

Actually paypal has the same thing, and website visitors only need a CC card to purchase.

kona72
12-05-2006, 05:02 PM
What about this one....

www.oscommerce.com

I have used it with much success in the past.

nanny
12-05-2006, 11:34 PM
You can design your own pages and if you have your own eftpos machine do offline transactions with mals-e.com
Its absolutely free and you can use paypal with the free service.
There is a monthly paid service if you want to include 3rd party.
There is excellent support base there as well through the forum. I have been using it for 2 years. If you don't want to design from scratch you can download cubecart from cubecart.com
I haven't used it as yet, but it connects with many payments providers, mals-e.com and affiliates.
Check them out.

chriskq
12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys for all your input, greatly appreciated.
Hopefully my partner and i will get the project and i can start learning all this stuff in the new year.

Do you think it will be fine to code the site with css and php, then "plug in" whatever e-commerce solution i choose.

guess im getting abit ahead of myself there, but im pretty sure my freelance partner and i will be getting the project.

ps - what would you guys charge for:
- design of site (in photoshop/illustrator)
- coding of site in xhtml/php/css
- e-commerce + database implementation

i really dont want to sell myself short on this project as i kno its gonna be bigger than it firsts looks.

davidj
12-06-2006, 01:04 AM
ok mate

you agree a fee of 1000 and this will take 2 developers 4 weeks @ 37hrs pwk you will have an income of 3.37 ph. The minimum wage in the uk is 5.05 ph OR

you agree a fee of 1000 and buy actinic for 399. Take an afternoon setting it up then head off down the pub with a smile knowing you just made 150 ph
in todays market you cant afford to reinvent the wheel.

sorry chris. Forgot the URL
http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

Note: There are other generic shopping carts available which are probably just as good. I have only had exposure to actinic which is why i refer to this by name. I am not affiliated to this product in any way

HeadAche
12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
The boss at my place has suddenly decided that he wants to offer ecommerse sites... in a matter of weeks. Now, I have never built one before and im not a programmer by nature so it would take me atlease 2 months to figure this out and ge something down.

As pointed out, this just doesnt make good business sense...

SO, ive decided on using something called Zen Cart, its free, and I have to say I'm quite liking it. You can make your own templates for the layout and have quite alot of control on how you want things to look, how much, im not quite sure yet.

I installed the UK credit and debit card modual yesterday so I can take UK Debit cards (zen cart is based around america, as mist things are) and this works great.

If your not looking to take huge amounts of orders, or just yet anyway, then i recommend this way. The system stores the middle card numbers, and the emails the begining and end numbers to you, then you just enter these details manually in your credit card machine.

When you start selling more then install a payment gateway - Worldpay is popular in the UK, but as far as i know zen cart supports most payment gateways.