PDA

View Full Version : Design tools

thedeath
12-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Am looking for backgrounds, bars etc. that can be used in dreamweaver. Any links to where i can get hold of this stuff.

davidj
12-03-2006, 12:17 PM
you can make backgrounds yourself in all the image editing applications

photoshop, fireworks, illustrator etc

michael_9992
12-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey, whats the difference between those programs. I know in photoshop you make/edit images and in dreamweaver you make your site. but what are the advantages of fireworks, illustrator, and flash professional?

davidj
12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
fireworks is a web orientated photoshop tool in that it handles vector graphics from the offset.

Photoshop is allot more powerful and is aimed at all mediums of graphics although it was aimed at the print industry initially. If you have the cash buy photoshop as this is your 30 bladed swiss army knife as apposed to fireworks which can be compared to that tool you use to get stones out of horses hoofs. Also now that adobe own both photoshop and fireworks expect that fireworks may be assimilated into a later version of Photoshop or maybe just discarded all together. (ImageReady is photoshops version of Fireworks)

Flash has been around for some time and was adopted early on as a way to getting high quality animation down a thin pipe in a reasonable amout of time. again uses vector graphics to achieve this optimum size. Again owned by Adobe

Illustrator is a vector illustration tool. The link below should give you an idea

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

d a v e
12-04-2006, 02:52 PM
"Photoshop is allot more powerful and is aimed at all mediums of graphics although it was aimed at the print industry initially. If you have the cash buy photoshop as this is your 30 bladed swiss army knife as apposed to fireworks which can be compared to that tool you use to get stones out of horses hoofs." though if what you need it for is getting stones out of horse's hooves then FW is better than ps!!!

davidj
12-04-2006, 04:07 PM
You get one of those stoney hoof things with every installation of photoshop. Infact you get a number of sizes to suit all horse sizes. With fireworks your just stuck with pony's

mad as a box of frogs!

d a v e
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
but if you're not going to use it for print then fw will do everything you need ;) and of course it's cheaper!

gmcrone
12-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Also now that adobe own both photoshop and fireworks expect that fireworks may be assimilated into a later version of Photoshop or maybe just discarded all together. (ImageReady is photoshops version of Fireworks)

David, FW is not going away, image ready is going bye bye tho.

Just wait till you see the new stuff coming in Fireworks CS3.
Can't say anymore about it though...

Mike...

domedia
12-05-2006, 04:48 AM
Now that we all got that out of the way, anyone want to throw some links to the OP? :)

edbr
12-05-2006, 06:18 AM
what kinda backgrounds and bars?

gmcrone, when is cs3 due for release? I have a boy scout with a swiss army knife stuck in my horses hoof

domedia
12-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Here we go, free web stuff:
http://www.coolarchive.com/ (reminds me of the geocity dyes ;) )

gmcrone feel free to start a new thread about cs3.

gmcrone
12-06-2006, 05:59 AM
gmcrone, when is cs3 due for release? I have a boy scout with a swiss army knife stuck in my horses hoof

Early 2007, I can't say anymore due to signing an NDA

Mike...

davidj
12-06-2006, 06:05 AM
David, FW is not going away, image ready is going bye bye tho.

thats a suprise. I honestly thought that adobe would have concentrated their efforts on their legacy system Imageready

gmcrone
12-06-2006, 06:18 AM
gmcrone feel free to start a new thread about cs3.

Wouldn't be much of a thread.
However, in beta testing right now:
Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Illustrator and some others not related to the web.
Image ready may still be in CS3, but not updated
Go Live is bye bye (1&1.com is giving it away free with web hosting, CS2 version)
Cold Fusion will be continued to be developed.
Freehand not being developed any further but kept around for awhile.

Mike...

gmcrone
12-06-2006, 06:21 AM
thats a suprise. I honestly thought that adobe would have concentrated their efforts on their legacy system Imageready

1. Adobe doesn't make any money from it.
2. Much of the program is going into Photoshop directly.
3. Fireworks and Flash (which are money makers) will take up the rest of the parts of image ready.

Mike...

davidj
12-06-2006, 06:24 AM
1. Adobe doesn't make any money from it.

would have thought the cost of Image Ready would have been built into the retail cost of photoshop

domedia
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Guys I've already moved the OT stuff to another thread. Please don't hijack this thread.

johnph77
12-07-2006, 03:01 AM
backgrounds:

http://www.johnph77.com/bg/

Two-color geometric backgrounds in a variety of colors and patterns.

Please do not cold link - download files to your site.