PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up a Testing Server

chris86
12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I've created PHP pages for a particular site, instead of my usual .HTML pages. When I hit F12 (preview in browser), I am asked to set up a testing server in order to view my PHP pages. I am very confused as to what to type for each of my options (and the DW Help menu is not very helpful!). I am getting error messages, so apparently the info. I entered is not accurate.

Server is remote, Linux based with Cpanel, PHP, MySQL. I normally transfer files using Filezilla (not using DW's built in FTP feature). I do not know what to put for the following fields...

Access
I am assuming that FTP is the correct choice here. When would "local/network" be used? What would happen if I chose "none"? Would I be able to preview PHP pages in a browser if I chose the "none" option? What is the "none" option designed for?

FTP Host
Do I put ftp.domain.com here? Or, do I just put domain.com ? Or, do I put localhost?

Host Directory
Is this supposed to be a folder off the root domain? Like domain.com/test? Or should it simply be /test ? Or, should this be a local path like public_html/domain/test ?

All I want to do is preview my PHP pages in a browser--I didn't think it would be this difficult! Help would be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded a screenshot to a test domain. ---EDITED. PROBLEM SOLVED. IMAGE REMOVED. ---

What am I doing wrong?

chris86
12-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Never mind. After a lot of trial and error, I figured it out. Here's what worked for me...

If you are connecting to a remote server (via your web host), use the primary domain name for the ftp host. Use the local path for "Host Directory." My access options (FTP) were correct.

Example:

FTP Host
domain.com (primary domain for your web hosting account)

Host Directory
/public_html/domain_folder_name/test

Hope that helps someone else.

davidj
12-02-2006, 07:59 AM
cheers chris

welcome to the forum

chris86
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi David. Thanks.