View Full Version : Setting Up a Testing Server

12-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I've created PHP pages for a particular site, instead of my usual .HTML pages. When I hit F12 (preview in browser), I am asked to set up a testing server in order to view my PHP pages. I am very confused as to what to type for each of my options (and the DW Help menu is not very helpful!). I am getting error messages, so apparently the info. I entered is not accurate.

Server is remote, Linux based with Cpanel, PHP, MySQL. I normally transfer files using Filezilla (not using DW's built in FTP feature). I do not know what to put for the following fields...

I am assuming that FTP is the correct choice here. When would "local/network" be used? What would happen if I chose "none"? Would I be able to preview PHP pages in a browser if I chose the "none" option? What is the "none" option designed for?

FTP Host
Do I put ftp.domain.com here? Or, do I just put domain.com ? Or, do I put localhost?

Host Directory
Is this supposed to be a folder off the root domain? Like domain.com/test? Or should it simply be /test ? Or, should this be a local path like public_html/domain/test ?

All I want to do is preview my PHP pages in a browser--I didn't think it would be this difficult! Help would be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded a screenshot to a test domain. ---EDITED. PROBLEM SOLVED. IMAGE REMOVED. ---

What am I doing wrong?

12-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Never mind. After a lot of trial and error, I figured it out. Here's what worked for me...

If you are connecting to a remote server (via your web host), use the primary domain name for the ftp host. Use the local path for "Host Directory." My access options (FTP) were correct.

FTP Host
domain.com (primary domain for your web hosting account)

Host Directory

Hope that helps someone else.

12-02-2006, 06:59 AM
cheers chris

welcome to the forum

12-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi David. Thanks.