PDA

View Full Version : Database joins how and why?

kona72
11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey DJ,

Brilliant tutorials... Been going through them and can't thank you enough. I have a request and a question.

Request: Can you do one on MySQL joins or relational DB's? I have a site that i am doing and cannot for the life of me figure out when and where I might use a join. Maybe this wouldn't be so project driven but more so a 'lesson' on why you would use a join VS have a ridiculously HUGE table?

Question: When you set up WAMP on your machine you used both a local folder and a web root folder. I have just the one (Web Root) that i use for development and testing and then when the site is ready i upload to the server. Is this ok to do this or should I also have the local root. I just find that with the local root then there are 2 copies of the site. I hope I am making sense.... In my head it does :)

Thanks for the consideration!!!!

davidj
11-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Request: Can you do one on MySQL joins or relational DB's? I have a site that i am doing and cannot for the life of me figure out when and where I might use a join. Maybe this wouldn't be so project driven but more so a 'lesson' on why you would use a join VS have a ridiculously HUGE table?

no problem. Will do a tut on joins -> why, where, when and what for

Question: When you set up WAMP on your machine you used both a local folder and a web root folder. I have just the one (Web Root) that i use for development and testing and then when the site is ready i upload to the server. Is this ok to do this or should I also have the local root. I just find that with the local root then there are 2 copies of the site. I hope I am making sense.... In my head it does

Dreamweaver requires a seperate local and remote directory so this is the reason i have the 2. I did use 1 before and took a trip to error city! Dreamweaver went all tits up on me! Also i never use the live server through dreamweaver. I prefer to use SmartFTP to do the final upload

Ideally your 2 directories should be on different machines but its not important as long as your remote works with PHP. Also i use a laptop and if i am travelling then i would like to continue to work without being connected to the net

kona72
11-25-2006, 08:38 PM
PERFECT!!!

I can't thank you enough!!! I have some idea but would be eternally grateful to you for this!!!

kona72
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey DJ,

Sorry to bug... any progress on this VTM?? I am trying on my own but REALLY struggling....

Thanks!

davidj
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
its on the list