PDA

View Full Version : Opening multiple documents

chipbutty
11-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi - I've not used Dreamweaver or done any HTML for a few years so I'm a little rusty. At work I've been asked to add some functionality to our intranet, which is entirely written in HTML. What I want to do is enable our users to select multiple Word documents by giving them the option to select checkboxes, each checkbox will link to a different Word document. Upon submitting their selection the Word documents will open, or maybe give an option to print too. Is it possible to do this in HTML using Dreamweaver or would it need something like Javascript to provide this functionality? My knowledge of Javascript is minimal to say the least! I'm using Dreamweaver MX.

Any help appreciated.

davidj
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
im afraid its the dreaded javascript

i will write a function that will do this although i may not have time today i will do this tonight if you can wait

CHIPBUTTY << :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like it

welcome to the forum

chipbutty
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks David that would be great.

Cheers for the welcome. I may go for a chipbutty at lunchtime :grin:

im afraid its the dreaded javascript

i will write a function that will do this although i may not have time today i will do this tonight if you can wait

CHIPBUTTY << :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like it

welcome to the forum

davidj
11-23-2006, 03:26 PM
i have looked into this a bit more closely and i dont think this is feasible

IE have restriction on how many downloads you have going at once (i think its 2) so if you have any more then the script would fail. There is a registry hack but if your company is of a proffesional nature then you wont stand a chance of this happening.

whats stopping the user clicking on a list of files (one at a time ) they want to see?

chipbutty
11-23-2006, 06:48 PM
That would be my preferred option. Opening up multiple Word windows is a bit of an unnecessary hassle when you consider the drain on system performance. The idea of opening up all the Word files is that they will belong in a pack, to be printed off together. The contents of the pack will differ from week to week. I'm now wondering whether it would be more feasible to somehow provide a link to each document and upon clicking would send the file for printing. Or just plain right clicking on the file and selecting print would work, but we have the right click button disabled at our place. Don't ask!

i have looked into this a bit more closely and i dont think this is feasible

IE have restriction on how many downloads you have going at once (i think its 2) so if you have any more then the script would fail. There is a registry hack but if your company is of a proffesional nature then you wont stand a chance of this happening.

whats stopping the user clicking on a list of files (one at a time ) they want to see?

davidj
11-23-2006, 10:56 PM
if you have access to your server and that server is unix then you can dynamcaly produce PDF files (multi page - 1 file)

you can also read and send a file to a printer using php but it is advanced stuff and you will need php installed