PDA

View Full Version : Several simple questions

gloomer
11-22-2006, 10:29 PM
How do I place my text wherever I want on the page? It's really frusturating. You can't move your cursor and click wherever you want the text. It just puts the cursor at one place and will not move unless you start typing. How do I place text wherever I want? Also How do I place images wherever I want? The positioning things like "left, right, center don't work very well. I have a client who is really picky about these things. I used to use Frontpage but I'm slowly making the switch. Does dreamweaver have the "absolute" function for images so I can position it exactly as I want? Basically proper positioning for both text and images. Regards. Dreamweaver 8

edbr
11-23-2006, 12:25 AM
With dream weaver you have all the control you want, mush more than front page.You should perhaps first have a look at some tutorials for using layers and tables.
There are some in the programs and some vtms on this site.

davidj
11-23-2006, 06:24 AM
the videos are no longer available

but yes, you need to look into layers and CSS

gloomer
11-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Ahh yes Layers seem to be fantastic.

And it looks like it works in all browsers. What a dream.

Forget frontpage I got Dreamweaver!

Wooot

davidj
11-23-2006, 10:03 PM
And it looks like it works in all browsers.

hehe

he'll be back !

gloomer
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
It doesn't then??? I need to know before I start redesigning a whole site.

It seems to work in Safari, firefox, internet explorer, and opera.

Am I missing something?

davidj
11-23-2006, 11:31 PM
no your right. it will work but you may have to tweak the CSS to work across all browsers. Dont worry though coz you have the club for help

You will look back at this post in 6 months and then think..."i wish i hadnt used the What a Dream phrase"

ramandeep
11-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Working with layers is the best and the worst part of this game

-Best because you can do anything with the elements on the page.
-Worst because you need to have a very clear idea of CSS and how to
make em work in different browsers.

I would suggest you to understand the concept of box model(specially IE/Win model) and positioning (relative, absolute, float with clearing) as these two concepts are very important for visual formatting.

Goodluck and shout here when you are stuck!