PDA

View Full Version : Cross browser validation for CSS

jasmine
11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Good Morning!

How do you make sure your CSS is valid with all browsers? I have some errors that come up and it says that a certain style is not compatible with certain browsers...
What sort of errors can come out of not making CSS valid for all browsers?

davidj
11-22-2006, 02:16 PM
How do you make sure your CSS is valid with all browsers?

It would be difficult to test across all browsers as there are hundreds
but the top main ones like IE 5+, Firefox, Opera. And the only way to make sure all is ok with your CSS is to test across each browser

jasmine
11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
yes, well, I figured all browser compatibility may be hard to do...
Some of the CSS I have doesn't show up in Firefox but it doesn't seem to create major problems for the rest of the site or its functionality.
Should you rid your site of all errors even if they don't really affect your site?

davidj
11-22-2006, 02:37 PM
see this is my argument with CSS

how can you define streamline code using CSS when you have to add hacks for things to work across the browser range

every one sings and dances over pure CSS sites but i find this hard to adopt due to the bugs and none compliance

domedia
11-22-2006, 05:55 PM
The major browsers today has pretty common support of CSS. There are small differences, the box model and padding is interpreted a little different by IE, which many peopl have issues with.

Jasmine what kind of errors are you exactly getting, and who is giving you these erors?

dthomsen8
11-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Should you rid your site of all errors even if they don't really affect your site?No, you have to be realistic about how much time and effort you want to devote to techie details.

Warnings and errors from the www.w3.org validation of HTML and CSS are learning tools for you, especially if you want to create more than one web site. Messages about alt tags being missing are a good way to learn that alt tags are important for accessibility, but also for search engine optimization. An alt tag on a product you are selling is important for users, and for search engines. An alt tag on a trim image can be blank, but still there, alt="" and the validation process will quit grumbling.

If you post a URL, I am sure you will get useful comments in this forum.