PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my pics publish to my ftp?

Snooze Control
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Greetings all,

I've recently made some changes to my website where I'm now using thumbnails which link to the full size pic when clicked, instead of just having the full size pic showing without using thumbnails.

I've no issue with creating the thumbnails from the full size pics and I get the usual "this image is outside your root folder, would you like to copy it there now?" warning message when inserting the image, which of course I click OK on.

I then do a "make link" by right-clicking the image (thumbnail) and select the full size pic from my folder where it once again prompts the "this image is outside your root folder" etc and again click OK to copy it across.

Once done and dusted I do my usual "PUT" to publish the site to the ftp and all should be hunkydory but when I click on the thumbnails from the live page I just get a 404. Why aren't the full size pics publishing to the ftp?

The only way I've found round this at the moment is to manually copy and paste the full size pics into the desired folder directly on my ftp screen, which is incredibly time consuimg and annoying!

Would anyone care to point out the error of my ways and perhaps a better way to do this please?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

domedia
11-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi Andy and welcome to the forums!

I haven't experienced this behavior before, but I'm pretty sure I know what you can do to prevent it from happening again.

Make sure your full size images are in you web folder locally on your machine before you start linking to them from your thumbnails.

"this image is outside your root folder, would you like to copy it there now?" is not a normal msg, it's more of an emergency action imho, because DW knows that what you're trying to do won't work.

So if you just make sure all the images are in the right place before you start linking them in, you should be fine. I know this doesn't really fix your direct problem, but at least it will prevent it (I'm pretty sure) from happening in the future. :)

Snooze Control
11-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Dom,

Thanks for your reply. I shall let you know if that works when I next upload.

Brgds,

Andy

Snooze Control
11-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Dom, I'm afraid it's bad news. Copying the files into my web folder beforehand has made no difference whatsoever. When I publish to the ftp, still only the thumbs are going and not the full size pics.

Why is this (not) happening?

Is this the way you would do it if you were to put thumb links on a htm page linking to the big pics?

The page in question - if it makes any difference - is here (http://www.seattle-deliveries.com/latest.htm), although by the time you read this I will have manually dragged the full size pics directly to the ftp again.

domedia
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
The page in question - if it makes any difference - is here (http://www.seattle-deliveries.com/latest.htm), although by the time you read this I will have manually dragged the full size pics directly to the ftp again. Yes, it looked fine from here. I can't really troubleshoot without any more information.

Snooze Control
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
What information does one require?

domedia
11-22-2006, 01:05 AM
uhm.. If I can see the problem on a webpage, that would be good for starters.
Then you can make a screenshot of your site definition.
You haven't even told me which Dreamweaver you're using on which OS.

Snooze Control
11-22-2006, 05:59 AM
uhm.. If I can see the problem on a webpage, that would be good for starters.
Then you can make a screenshot of your site definition.
You haven't even told me which Dreamweaver you're using on which OS.

Hi Dom, it's Dreamweaver 4 I'm using and my OS is Windows 2000 Pro.

I don't know how I can replicate the problem on a webpage though? It's a simple case of the thumbs publish to the ftp okay when doing a "put" but the full size pics which are linked from the thumbs don't publish to the ftp. It's as simple as that really!

- Andy

domedia
11-22-2006, 02:30 PM
It's as simple as that really! The symptom might be easy to isolate, doesn't mean the problem is an easy one to fix and without more info it's just impossible for me to guess what's wrong. It sounds like you site definitions are wrong, but that is a guess.