PDA

View Full Version : shopping cart system

jonsaul
11-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on shopping cart systems.

I would like to set-up a site to retail clothes, maybe 10-20 items per section, is there a system that is better than the others ?? I would like to (ideally) find a system that can accept online payment directly (ie. not via paypal).

Also something esay to set-up/manage as I have no database/php/asp experience, although I do know my AS 2.0, XHTML & CSS so Im hoping it wont be too much of a drag to get into.

Any help, advice, links etc would be most appreciated.

Thanx everyone !!!

davidj
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
i have built a couple of shops using http://www.actinic.co.uk/

you build the shop and add your products, Upload the site to a host and collect cart and payment info through 1 client GUI (every thing done from the installed client software) It even prints off your invoice's and despatch notes for your orders.

its a very proffessional product

You can try it for 30 days too

jonsaul
11-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your reply, I took a look at the examples online, seems pretty good to me.

How did you find it to develop ?? Does it come as a set of templates or something like that ? I am looking for something that I can customise well or add to bespoke pages, I want it to look good !

Which of the systems did you use ?
Would you say I need any dynamic development experience to set this up ?

davidj
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
you dont need to have any scripting experience and there are a few built in templates to work with I would say it will take a day or two to get to grips with (i would invest in a good book also)

it does however use its own tag based language which i delved into and found it ok. This however will take longer to master but will be a great tool if you became a guru in it

jonsaul
11-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Ok thanks David, Ive just downloaded a trial and Im gonna give it a spin on my PC , thanks for your help so far.

Wish me luck !! haha

HeadAche
11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Blimey, thats supprise. If you use it and recommend it then it cant be bad atall...

How hard do you reckon it would be to get Actinic to process orders taken through its websites into another 'local' MySQL database, like say the one our crm epos VB project uses??

davidj
11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Headache

i think you have the wrong end of the stick

actinic is a product installed on a host (with CGI access!)

It is not a service subscribtion based product where buyers navigate to your shop via actinics web site

the way i see it is that you build and test it locally then key in the host ftp info and upload it. This installs all required files including setting up the required database (on live machine). Your installed client then switchs from design development mode to purchase mode. When you launch the app from your machine it connects to the live db and downloads the orders with payment details

HeadAche
11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Damn - See, I told you their website doesnt explain things very well...