PDA

View Full Version : Help on Drop Down Menus

jennypen
11-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey there guys. Bit of help needed. I'm creating a website for a friend's car parts company and I'm currently overhauling their order form.

Basically this is what I want to happen. I have to include an area about the vehicle the parts are for. Currently there's a text box where customers can type their car makes and models. I want to make these into drop down menus. However, I know how to make drop down menus but only how to link them to new pages. How can I make it so that by clicking a certain car make, say 'Vauxhall' for example, it will automatically bring the drop down menu into model where only Vauxhall models will be available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jen

davidj
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
ok

the best way to do this is to use a scripting language like PHP then you can hold all the values in a database table you will then be able to edit them really easily

if you dont want to use PHP or another scriping language then yo will have to do this using javascript which can be tricky to get to grips with. Also i think by giving new developers a pre-written script doesnt really help and adds to the confusion

i am currently writing a PHP tutorial series for DWC and if you want to get into this let me know and i will include a dynamic dropdown episode

jennypen
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
That would be phenomenal!! I really don't mind what I use, I'm always willing to learn new stuff! Basically the site I'm working on is a long term thing, I'm the only one that will be maintaining it in a sense. Any sort of time scale on the tutorial??

davidj
11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
there is a vtm section you can access from the main page (vtm = video training thingy)

there are 4 vids on there you need to follow to get PHP installed and a database built

i am going to do a php connections vid next and then move onto the dropdowns just for you :D

PHP will change the way you develop sites and also add a proffesionalism to your skillset

jennypen
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Wow, is it as difficult as it looks!? lol I was just reading a few things on the net about it. Anyway, thanks so much! I'll go and get those vids and start it all off!

davidj
11-10-2006, 06:43 AM
dropdown vids are done

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/

jennypen
11-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey, sorry I've been inactive. Uni essays were due in and it all got on top of me!

Anyways, DavidJ, I'm currently reinstalling the software because I was blonde and messed it up the first time. Thanks so much for your help and I'll PM you with the finished product so you can see what you did lol

davidj
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
glad to be of help