PDA

View Full Version : template for my website

pethon
11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
when creating a template, i insert editable regions in the template right?

where do i store the template, on my ftp server?

because the way i have my project setup is by dreamweaver connecting to my ftp, then it displays all the files on the ftp, in the right hand panel.

So, how do i actually create a new file from the template? because when i right click in the panel and 'create new file' it just creates a blank file. and i have to copy/paste the code from the template to the new file..

but if i have to keep copying/pasting whats the point of me having created this template.

so hope someone can help me.

domedia
11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
The basics are pretty easy, but you have to sit down and read how they work before you start using templates and dig yourself into a hole. Did you read in the help files how templates work?

pethon
11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I did, i made a template with a editRegion1. but when i click on Insert>Template Objects>'Make template it says Dreamweaver stores templates in the root folder of sites. The are no sites defined.

But i have already got my site added, how do i 'define' a site? :s

domedia
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Defining a site is your *first* step when doing a site in Dreamweaver, you're back to step one and need to get the basics down (like I mentioned above) :) There's no shortcuts, open the help files/manual, this is covered early. Or if you don'tlike reading manuals (I get the feeling ;) ) try one of these:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14028
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14787

Let me know how that works for you.

pethon
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks alot demoedia.

I got a site setup, in both local/remote(ftp) views.

But when i made the template, it saved it in the local area. i then made a new file from this template and on this file, i couldnt change nothing except for the editable region which is correct.

i then uploaded this file to my ftp, which i guess works. so i think ive got it kinda working, but in a slow way as if i want to create a new file based on my template i have to create it locally then upload it to ftp. anyway thanks, and those links you posted don't seem to load for me. maybe its ust me :p

pethon
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
but how do i get it so the webpage is like

index.php?page=1

etc etc, i thought templates were like that?

domedia
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Nope, Dreamweaver template pages are seperate html pages.
Pages with a url like that are made with PHP instead of Dreamweaver Templates.

domedia
11-06-2006, 06:58 PM
i then uploaded this file to my ftp, which i guess works. so i think ive got it kinda working, but in a slow way as if i want to create a new file based on my template i have to create it locally then upload it to ftp. anyway thanks, and those links you posted don't seem to load for me. maybe its ust me :p Yes, that way you can *develop* locally, and put pages live when they're done. Surely you don't want to develep/test etc on your live website? :)

pethon
11-06-2006, 08:08 PM
hehe, nope.

it makes sense the way it is, thanks!!

now for the PHP.... lol :cry: