PDA

View Full Version : Streaming music & selecting tracks

cariva
11-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi there, I've read past posts about music on sites but they're not what I'm after...

I'm building a new site for some musicians. We want music to play in two ways:
1) Automatically when a particular page loads
2) For the pages displaying an album I want there to be a list of tracks you can click on to hear a sample from each (each new one clicked cancels the last).

Their old site has music playing in the 1st way, automatically streamed (though I don't really know what that means!). I think this is the code for that:

<div align="center"><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#3,0,0,0" width="0" height="0">
<param name="SRC" value="alllife.swf">
<embed src="alllife.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="0" height="0">
</embed>
</object>
</div>

The track is 'alllife.swf'. I do have Flash but haven't used it before. If at all possible I want the tracks to play without new windows/popups appearing.

Whaddya think? All help is appreciated!
Cheers.

domedia
11-03-2006, 02:20 AM
I think if you have never used Flash before, you need to get to it asap and read some tutorials/manual :) Flash is fully capable of streaming video and audio. But you need to know the basics first. Unless you know the basics of Flash/actionscript/flash component & behaviours, you won't get anyewhere. Flash has a steep learning curve.
Flash comes with built in help files.

cariva
11-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey, thanks for that. I can now play audio files automatically on a page loading, and compress mp3s correctly, but I'm still stuck on having a button that you click to play an audio file. From the Dreamweaver Help it seems to be an easy task to link sound ("Linking to an audio file") to a button, but it's not working! :? Any ideas?

davidj
11-05-2006, 10:37 AM
as Dom said use flash for streaming music

if you just point to the mp3 file using a link then that will just promt for a download of the file

flash is the way to go