PDA

View Full Version : is it good practice?

dazzclub
10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
hi people,

just a quick question, is it frowned upon by web designers to have to types of css files, such as one for ie and the other for firefox?

i know you should try n make your css valid for both, but is it bad practice to create seperate style sheets for the two mentioned browsers

cheers

domedia
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi dazzclub,
In my opinion it would be bad practice since you can make the CSS valid for both :) so you kinda answered your own question. What I often do, to make things more seperated is to have different stylesheets for different applications running on the website.
So let's say I have a website with many regular content pages, one photo gallery and a contact form. In this case I would have a styles.css for the common interface and regular pages, a photo.css with styles only for the photo gallery pieces, and a contact.css for everything inside the form tag in the contact form.

There's wide open opinions on this though.. I do remember seperate stylessheets for netscape 4 was considered good practice back when we still had to take this browser into consideration, and that was due to a huge lack of support for standard CSS in NN4. But nowadays with more consistent CSS support (at least compared to some years ago), I'd think you should be able to have one stylesheet cover your most popular browsers.