PDA

View Full Version : my new web site

daveball
10-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi all , I have finished my website, www.irishwebcreations, its my 1st one that I have completed, I have been using layers and I am looking for some productive critissim if possible, is tere any areas where it could be improved , etc, many thanks for having a look, www.irishwebcreations.com

gmcrone
10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
1. Do a spell check. I see numerous spelling errors on all your pages.

2. Personally, I don't recommend quoting prices on your site.

3. Did you use CoffeeCup VSD to design this site? I say that because all your CSS is embedded and everything is absolutely positioned.

4. On your home page your intro text is a bit difficult to read on top of the background graphic.

Overall, it is a clean look and just needs a bit of tweaking...

Mike...

d a v e
10-29-2006, 01:38 PM
there are too many styles (and colours) in there: the globe, the logo, the key, the bits on the right - leaf and polaroids. try and match the style and colour scheme of your logo

the middle bevelled box looks amateurish

the font would be better as a sans-serif, maybe verdana, and definitely NOT all bold

there's no need to duplicate the navigation at the bottom of the page

the top left corner of the screen shot of the web page (bottom right of screen) is chopped off

you need to proof read your copy (you even have typos in the page titles), and leave a space between your paragraphs so it's easier to read

the site doesn't resize to fit into 800x600 (it has slight scrolling for 1024 wide too) try a liquid layout with a flexible middle column

validate your xhtml and css ;)

domedia
10-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Try to be as consistent as possible with colors/fonts/weight etc.
I think nav on bottom is good practice.
You need a portfolio page, it's so common now you almost have to consider it a standard ;)

d a v e
10-29-2006, 04:06 PM
"I think nav on bottom is good practice. "

why?

maybe for loooong pages but for those i see no resaon to have it in 2 places

domedia
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
'good practise' refers to general rules of thumb, not specific instances :)
irishwebcreations will probably do good enough without it, but I still consider it good practise.

Couple of reasons:
-When people are done reading a page, that's the next thing they'll see. Definitely nice on 'loooong' pages ;). You also want to be consistent about it. It there's not one long page now, there might be one in the future.
-Many websites use graphics for main navigation, including text links to main pages is good for search engines.
-It's so common that many people almost expect it to be at the bottom.

d a v e
10-29-2006, 05:01 PM
you can simply use 'back to top' to take them back to the navigation

using graphics for nav with alt text means that they are indexed properly by search engines (?)

it depends on what kind of sites you think it is common - true i've certainly seen it in many places but not necessarily on such great sites with good usability

in my experience it used to be good practice a few years ago but doesn't seem to be now :)

chriskq
10-31-2006, 02:05 AM
the nav on the leftside needs to be done with css, not using rollover swap image function dreamweaver inserts... notice the lag of the hover image when you mouseover a button. bit of a big no no in xhtml.

Your trying to sell websites, the first thing u want to do is make sure urs is top notch. This is achived by using css, javscript (where appropriate), flash (again, where appropriate) nice optimized images... also its good to throw in some new web 2.0ish buzz features like
- ajax, aflex, sIFR (and some thing with some sort of interactivity)

just giving my thoughts..

let me kno if u need help with nav in css....

edbr
10-31-2006, 03:37 AM
I agree, clean site with tweaks needed, and with most of the posts.

Text is difficult to read.

pages are too wide

css would be better than javascript for the menus, however if you do keep javascript the nav at the bottom will help search engine robots crawl your site which the nenus wont at the moment. In any case I fail to see why you would take it away whether or not it is fashionable or not I see no problem with it.

You should add some flash elements as an example if you want to promote it.
i would make a css page rather than embed it in each page, and name layers and styles with relevent names makes it easier later on when you want to make changes.