PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new forum features?

domedia
10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
For a while we've had a major spam problem in the forums. The problem is closely related to the forum software we use, and how easy it is for spammer to exploit this code.

To counter this I've purchased a commercial forum package. I'm getting professional help getting this installed and the old buggy forum completely converted.

What I'd like is some ideas fro you on what works good/not good with the current forum. Are there features you've seen on other forums that works well that you'd like to see implemented? I can't promise you'll see every idea implemented, but every good idea will be closely looked at and if there's no problem with it; implemented :)

blanchard
10-23-2006, 09:25 AM
My idea would be to have a tutorial section for the most popular asked questions under each forum topic.

domedia
10-24-2006, 01:22 AM
That is a really good idea Blanchard, some questions come up over again every so often.

Andromeda
10-24-2006, 04:23 AM
One of the things I like most about this forum is the ability to " view posts since last visit". Not sure if this is standard on forums as I don't frequent any other forums.

domedia
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
It's the function I use the most as well. I'll make sure it stays put :)

domedia
10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Theree seem to be a good chance the conversion to new forum software will happen this weekend.
Talking to some forum developers right now.
I'll keep this post updated. Once the conversion starts, there will be some downtime to this forum. All for the good though :)

davidj
11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
a catalogue of answers would be good.

something where we can link to the internal post rather than linking to another website with the answer.

Allot of questions seem to be answered by pointing the user to a different web site with the answer. This is a big shame as the user is going to move away from the forum if links are the only help offered.

i good repository is what we need to aim for. This saves on repetative posts and offers a more productive solution while avoiding sending members off to other sites for there answers

domedia
11-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Maybe a huge sticky post in top of each forum, with a FAQ with questions and answers, would that work for that? Would in a way take care of Blancards suggestions as well.

davidj
11-03-2006, 03:27 PM
questions could be ranked in terms of if we think a question is going to be asked again in the future (like php mail and forms seem to be). If so a small tut could be developed and any future Q would just be answered by pointing to it.

a new forum would have to hold these answers like an FAQ section. They would have to be organised into the relevant topics like CSS, PHP etc

domedia
11-03-2006, 05:05 PM
a new forum would have to hold these answers like an FAQ section. They would have to be organised into the relevant topics like CSS, PHP etc That where I thought having a FAQ sticky in each forum (css, dreamwaver, php etc) would be a good idea, because then it's organized anywho. I'm sure we can find a way to plug in a voting system..