PDA

View Full Version : Where/how to start with PHP....

RobG
10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi guys,

I have been teaching myself HTML/CSS over the last few months, and now I feel ready to jump to PHP/MySQL in my quest to become a web developer.

I started to read through the W3Schools PHP tutorial, but got stuck at step 1. :? I have some webspace through this company (www.4uhosting.co.uk) which has a few spare MySQL databses that can be setup on there. I'm sure it can run PHP as it is mentioned a few times in the help software etc.

The main problem is that I don't know my arse from my elbow. Where do I start? Do I need to install a web server on my home machine to code/test PHP or can I just upload my files to my webspace and test them there?

This is probably such a stupid/basic question that you guys will be thinking 'how in the hell is this moron going to learn php?', but I assure you I am a fast learner once I am on the right track.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

domedia
10-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Where do I start? Do I need to install a web server on my home machine to code/test PHP or can I just upload my files to my webspace and test them there? You can do both/either. I make and edit all my PHP files on the server, while many here in the forum like setting up pPHP/MySQL on their own machine, develop their scripts locally and then upload to their server.

fwr1000
10-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I too am new to PHP and MySql. Just bought David Powers book, Foundation, PHP for Dreamweaver 8. So far about 2/3 through and it is proving to be a great book on concepts and practical application. Step by step on how to set up PHP, MySQL, and configuring Dreamweaver to work with them. Available at Amazon, etc.

Fred

davidj
10-20-2006, 07:37 AM
here is an installer that will drop all three apps on your local machine

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

i prefer to write, test and debug on my local machine