PDA

View Full Version : Frames, resizing and frameset question

Rich_A
10-14-2006, 01:01 PM
This is my site www.eoaa.org

If you minimize it and then resize it using the right bottom corner, the top frame gets squashed. It's not such a big deal but I'd prefer to have the top frame locked solid no matter what. I've noticed other sites, even professinal sites have this issue sometimes too.

My second question is to do with framesets. I have some jump menu pages, for example Events \ Results. It took me a while to get those jump menus working and I found the only way I could do it and use frames was to make a new frameset. So in root I have framesets index main, index results, index points.

It works great, the only problem is that when I go from one frameset to another the subglobal text disappears. Whereas if I browse for instance, Main subglobals the subglobal text stays. The subglobal text stays so long as a subglobal is not linked to a new frameset.

I've not explained that too well but is there a way when loading a new frameset to force certain subglobal text to appear on first load?

Rich.

Rich_A
10-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Bump.. surely in Dreamweaver it's possible to lock that title frame and also possible to have chosen subglobals appear when a frameset is loaded.

domedia
10-16-2006, 01:30 AM
You need to set the frame height in an absolute value, and not in percentage. You need to have your main frameset selected to edit this in your frames properties window.

The reason noone has answered is probably because your website is made with frames and few people use them anymore :-( You're also creating issues for your users and serach engines by doing it this way.

Rich_A
10-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Will give that a go thanks..

Any idea how to make a subglobal load when a frameset is first loaded. That seems like an odd one to do!

I think my provider can help with search engines, it's not so important because it's more a word of mouth type site. But next time I do a site that will be something I might have to consider. I mean, what other way is there to do what I'm doing with out using frames? Another program?

There are some problems with FireFox and Opera but I've got a guy working on the code so hopefully those issues canbe fixed.

domedia
10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Your 'jumpmenu' code must target a specific frame. From your code:<a href="index%20results.htm" target="_top">
_top = your frameset. You should set a page only for your events and set the target attribute to target="frame main"

Alternative to Frames:
Frames should be used when you want to include an *external* page on your website. with todays technology of feeds and shared content, noone has really used frames for awhile. Looking at your website, I can't really see any reason for you to use frames, so any other solution (regular html pages) would be sufficient.

If you tell me why you're using frames, I could easily help you come up with an alternative that is much easier to work with, I promise :)

If search engines have problems with your website, so will users. You compromise on important functions such as searching, bookmarking, and using your site.

Rich_A
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Hmm I fixed making subglobal text staying some how by linking the orginal index frameset subglobal to open for example statistics in the main frame. This didn't work last time I tried and that's why I started making these new framesets for main frame pages that had jump menus but seems to work from index frameset now.

Not sure what's going on there but for sure jump menus in main frame must be made whilst in the entire frameset so that the option to 'Open in' main frame is there.

To anwer your question, I'm using frames becasue I wanted the title block, i.e. the blue navigation area to stay there all the time. I don't want to scroll down and have it disappear and I don't want it to reload every time a new main frame page is loaded.

I think it works so long as I can fix Firefox and Opera issues. So long as the main address is book marked everything will be under that. There's no need for individual pages to be book marked within my site. But please, if there's a way to do what I'm doing using a different program then I'm very interested. :D

domedia
10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Revert the catfish technique:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2005/10/18/the-catfish-part-1/

Altough you don't think there's a reason to bookmark one of your pages, your users expect to be able to. And they expect to find you in search engines as well. Much more so than they expect the top part of your website to stay in a fixed position in your viewport. Or so I think anyways ;)

Rich_A
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Well I can make note about how the frames work and then it's easy enough to right click one of the pages within the main frame and 'Add to favourites' although I doubt anyone will want to do that because navigating is very quick using the locked title frame.

So, actually all resolved here. Thanks for fixing my title frame although the global link text gets squashed and moved a bit but that's not so bad. 8)

I got it to lock by setting top frame to Pixels and main frame to Relative.

chriskq
10-17-2006, 01:19 AM
so why not man up and throw the frames concept out the window (whilst driving down the highway very fast)

i do not see the point in using frames on single bit.... try and persude me.