PDA

View Full Version : Refresh control

jmf
10-08-2006, 12:57 AM
What is the trick to forcing web browsers to refresh when new information is added. When we updated an advertising graphic contained in a layer, only new users are sure to see the update. How can I assure that the user who checks are sight often sees new graphics?

jmf

domedia
10-08-2006, 03:05 PM
If you're using PHP you can try this snippet that tries to tell the browser not to cache:
<?php
header ("Expires: Mon, 1 Jan 1985 00:00:01 GMT");
header ("Cache-control: no-cache; must-revalidate");
header ("Pragma: no-cache");
?>

Ir you can use this in the head area of your HTML document:
<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">

jmf
10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks. I generally change new offers by changing the graphic in a layer. Is this the best way to assure repeat customers see the new specials, changes, etc.?

jmf

domedia
10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
It depends on the context of course. It sounds like an easy way of updating the website. What is the url?

jmf
10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
www.bodyelectrictv.com

domedia
10-08-2006, 10:54 PM
My advice would be to get some regular text on the homepage. There's only images so search engines won't have much to go on. Looking into the website, there seem to be mostly images as well. In your case I would not use images to update the homepage with, but a combination of images and regular text.

jmf
10-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks. That seems to nail the update problem. I try to incorporate text that changes when I change the image. Would the change of a single character work like changing a "1" to a "2"?

jmf

chriskq
10-09-2006, 01:20 AM
jimf, i think ur missing Dom's point. Using text on the homepage is better for SEO (ie, people searching for your kind of product/service can hopefully get referenced you site)

always use alt and title tags on images aswel eg:
imagename.gif

jmf
10-09-2006, 02:47 AM
I do remember the days of html coding, but now computers and connections are faster. I prefer graphic pages and meta tags these days. I still use some code for custom work, but generally quite happy with plugins etc. What I missed was the fact that browsers do not detect graphic changes. (I wonder if browsers would detect graphics with different names?) This means that frequent visitors will not see graphic changes when text is not changed. In that regard, your suggestion to "always use alt and title tags" is a good one. By making sure this text is always changed with a new graphic should trigger the browser to download the new graphic. Thanks.

jmf

chriskq
10-09-2006, 06:24 AM
yes deffinatly on renaming the imagename and path name- good point made on ur behalf...

that is the most simpliest way to make sure a regualr user is going to see the latest version of ur page (ie- not cached)

i too get sick of pressing Ctrl F5 to force a freshly non-cached page

adios

domedia
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
jmf, as long as you keep 2 things in mind. Meta tags are dead (Google the phrase to find out more) and search engines can't read images. Computers and Intnernet is generally faster now, but web standards is also a thing that has emerged, with good reasons. :)

jmf
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
A guick search suggests that meta tags are not that helpful regarding competitive ranking. What are "description tags?"

jmf

domedia
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Meta description tags are almost the same as meta keywords, and are almost equally dead. None of the big search engines lets it influence the search result pages.

jmf
10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Some good lessons for this casual expert. (Where are the upside down smiley faces when you need them?)

jmf