PDA

View Full Version : Image as background, what size should the image be?

scifin
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
In the test site I'm working on for the band I'd like to use a full size image as the background on the page; the question is what size should the image be? I'd prefer not to have the image repeat so I was thinking at least making it 1024x768 but I know that'll also increase the file size of the image; what should I do?

I haven't decided on the picture yet although I'll probably dl something from stock.xchange

Also, GO PADRES!!!

Creative Insanity
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
eee.. not a fan of that.. as it is going to repeat anyway and no matter what size you make it you can bet your bottom dollar someone is going to have a larger reso and spoil the look.

domedia
10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
If you're going to use a background image for your whole site, d'd set a fixed width on the website. Width would be depending on your audience.

chriskq
10-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Or you could opt for a site that sits to the left of the browser (ie not in the center).. But this would work perfect for a big background image that fades into a solid color (white or black the best)

sortof like this one here (just a friends site) http://www.hatchdigital.com/

but do u get the idea ia talking about?

Jittor
10-04-2006, 02:05 AM
I would also have to say that I am not a big fan of the photo background either, but since I am sure you will at least try it to see what it looks like, I would recommend doing something like what chriskq said or make the picture really subtle and not the main focus. Say, by making it 50% transparent, or perhaps black and white. Really, you just don't want it hard to see the things on the site (other pictures/text) or for the background to be always grabbing the attention and not the actual site. Just my thoughts.

Also, that is one gigantic sig! :shock: