PDA

View Full Version : forms

Andromeda
10-01-2006, 07:02 AM
I know very little about forms and up til now have managed to avoid them! But the site I have been asked to update has forms so therefore I cannot avoid them any longer!

I see there is a tutorial on forms but that uses php and I have no idea if this web site does or not. (see I told you I knew nothing!) :oops:

There are 2 pages which use forms. The contact page and the feedback page. I've done updates on both and tried to leave the forms alone in the process. Only, the contact page doesn't work anymore but the feedback one does.

Could someone take the time to look at both and let me know why the contact page doesn't work anymore?

contact = http://www.thesensorium.co.nz/contact.html
feedback = http://www.thesensorium.co.nz/FeedbackForm.html

thanks heaps peoples. :shock:

edbr
10-02-2006, 12:53 AM
This is the action for both forms (only change of name) they both seem the same.
<form name="Contact" action="mailto:theSensorium@slingshot.co.nz" method="post"ENCTYPE="text/plain" >
I have only used php. Can't you ask the hoster if php is possible?

Jittor
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Edbr,

Try this code and see if it helps. I don't know a whole lot about forms either but I set one up in DW a long time ago that couldn't use php and it has worked since.

<form action="mailto:theSensorium@slingshot.co.nz" method="post" enctype="text/plain" name="Contact" id="Contact">

Hope this helps. If not I tried.

davidj
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
forgive me if im mistaken but i always thought that mailto just called your default email client application?

so an un-educated guess says assigning a mailto action to the form wont do anything other than call your email app? If this is a valid method does the form contents also get sent to the email body??

never seen this before coz i use PHP to send all my mail and never use mailto

Jittor
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
DJ,

You are correct and that is why I do not use this method any more. Nobody likes it when Outlook or AOL or what ever default email program they use has to start up to send a comment or ask for help. I found out our server supports .asp but not .php so I searched untill I found out how to do it with .asp. It works the same as with .php.

I always try to recommend using .php but when .php is not supported what options are there? The mailto: action suck but I know of no other non-php/asp option.

domedia
10-02-2006, 06:04 PM
CGI, or basically *any* server side language the server supports. Most serious hosts will help you quite a bit having a contact form set up.

Andromeda
10-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Thank you peoples for your replies. Your comments are much appreciated and very helpful.

Are there any advantages to having a form rather than simply an email link if the only info you wanted was comments on your site? I realize that the more info you want the more a form becomes necessary - but is it really necessary for just feedback?

What do people think?

domedia
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
but is it really necessary for just feedback? That really depends on your situation and what you want feedback on. Can you elaborate?

edbr
10-05-2006, 12:59 AM
I dont see any disadvantage in using a form. It is sent as an email anyway, will not open anyones mail programme and maybe keeps a feww spammers off your tail

Andromeda
10-05-2006, 04:08 AM
domedia, what I mean is, if you have a simple form which has 3 fields. One for your name, one for the email address and one for comments, are there any advantages to having a form rather than an email link.

ebdr, good points. thanks.

Jittor
10-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Andromeda,

In my experience if you have a form that just pulls up their default email you are basically doing the same as an email link only your using the form to isolate what questions you want answered - Like Name, Email, and Comments. I believe that most people will not want to wait for their default email, don't have a default email set up (AOL- which takes forever to load, Outlook, Mozilla.....) or just get annoyed and will not even contact you.

I do believe however, that if you use a form using .php or .asp that does not require a user to use their default email program users will find it easier and safer to just fill out the info and move on. This way you will actually get feedback. That is why you see a lot of company website that have a contact us link and it goes right to a form.

Like I said though - that is just my opinion. :)

Andromeda
10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Like I said though - that is just my opinion. :)

And a worthy opinion too :) Thanks Jittor.

Jittor
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Anytime! After all that's what were all here for. :D

domedia
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
I think Jittor explained the advantages pretty well in that post.