PDA

View Full Version : Font obstacle ?

Rich_A
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi there,

I'm using dreamweaver and SMF, it's working great. I use frames and have parts of my site not change and load SMF in it's own frame.

But one problem I've got atm is with fonts in dreamweaver. I've installed a font that most users won't have installed. So how can I get around this?

When a visitor doesn't have the font it loads a default font.

I don't want to have to make images of my text for everything. Is there a way to some how make a visitor install the font automatically - or perhaps there's another way?

Creative Insanity
09-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Naa naa you REALLY cannot expect a person to install something on their system they do not have or need. Seems you are trying to force people to install the font JUST TO SEE YOUR SITE and this is a complete NO NO.. don't be lazy and create graphics for the non default fonts.

domedia
09-28-2006, 02:58 AM
There's a couple of technologies to deal with this. None work perfect. The best is probably SIFR. Search google for sifr replacement technique. You need flash to create a flash file in order for this technique to work. The most common approach is what CI mentioned, if you use your font as a design element, make a graphic, if not use a standard font decaration with css like font-family: 'arial, sans-serif'

Rich_A
09-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Not sure what you mean but I wll search for that.

I can do jpegs np. I thought maybe there was a way to cache the font within the ftp somehow.

Thanks again, will search around.

Creative Insanity
09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Here ya go (http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/)

Rich_A
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes, it's a good idea and tool but I think I could do it just as quick making my own image files once I've made some templates.