PDA

View Full Version : Comments of Frames....

TheBaldOne
09-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi all

This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and I have a general question on web design and Dreamweaver.

I have only built a couple of websites using tables. While reading through the forum the word Frames appears a lot and wondered what the difference is between a Frame and a Table?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
TheBaldOne

Creative Insanity
09-13-2006, 01:18 AM
A table is for tubular content and a frame is what holds a pages content. Frames are horrid and should be kept away from.
Also tables are the old form of design (from a past dedicated table user) and layers and css give a better and more compliant site.

TheBaldOne
09-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi

Thanks for reply. I played about with Frames and didn't find any benefit for using them. (hence the post)

As for layers, I created a left aligned website using layers which I found a good way foward but they came unstuck when I tried to centre the layers relative to screen resolution,etc so I converted them back to tables at the end which worked fine.

CSS - still something from a distant planet for me that one. One day i'll try and understand it.

Cheers
TheBaldOne :D

Creative Insanity
09-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Centering with divs (layers) is so easy it is rediculous.
Here is the trick.

Place all the divs into a layer div like:

#wrapper{
margin:0 auto;
width:760px;
}

the margin settings will place a 0 margin on the top (this can be any margin you want). The auto is the important part as that sets the left and right margins automaticly according to the width of the wrapper and the size of the viewing pane.

gmcrone
09-18-2006, 03:40 AM
The end of the world must be near. CI instructing people on how to use CSS....

Mike...

Creative Insanity
09-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Gee GM.. well I had to change one day ah.
So grab all your treasures and find the highest hill. LOL