PDA

View Full Version : Layers not moving when browsers resized...

markthedoc
09-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I am designing a site using layers in DW to produce divs.
However when I put the body into a wrapper div to centre it, the layers stay where they were.
Is there a bit of css code I need to use to get the layers to move with the design as the browser is resized?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

domedia
09-08-2006, 06:54 PM
You are absolutely positioning your DIV's. When you do that they never change position (because of the absolute position from the viewports top left corner). Turn this off, and they will act normal.

dthomsen8
09-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Let us know when you have a published site, and give us the URL for additional comments.

chavvez
09-11-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm having the same problem as markthedoc. I just started working with css and DW8. I'm able to get a layer to stay centered if there is only one layer at any vertical point on the page like my header and menu bar layers.

I also made a wrapper that I'm trying to put 3 layers (could end up being 2 rows of three) inside but I cant get them to be positioned with respect to the wrapper. The site is: http://www.livenitesproductions.com/dreamweaver/main.html

I thought if layers were made inside another div tag the absolute positioning was relative to to that div.

Creative Insanity
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Umm you have added your css to the html file.. not a good way to do this. Create a css file and place the styling stuff in there and link it to the page.
That way the style is there for you to use in other pages as well.

As for 3 columns.
Have fun reading! (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/three_column_layout.html)

chriskq
09-11-2006, 07:55 AM
it would be a good idea to not use javascript image rollovers. These are so clunky and slow, besides, rollovers can be done by using css only now (ultilising the background-position property)

let us kno if u are keen to do this and i can provide starter code

domedia
09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
I thought if layers were made inside another div tag the absolute positioning was relative to to that div. No, read my first comment in this thread.

markthedoc
09-14-2006, 11:32 PM
it would be a good idea to not use javascript image rollovers. These are so clunky and slow, besides, rollovers can be done by using css only now (ultilising the background-position property)

let us kno if u are keen to do this and i can provide starter code
I'd be interested in hearing how to do this Chris...

markthedoc
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
You are absolutely positioning your DIV's. When you do that they never change position (because of the absolute position from the viewports top left corner). Turn this off, and they will act normal.
Cheers for the reply Dom. I've turned off the absolute positioning & the layer has now positioned itself at the bottom of the page below the footer, instead of in the middle of the page, above the main content div where it was. Any ideas?
Cheers :)

Creative Insanity
09-18-2006, 02:35 AM
code

domedia
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
[quote=domedia]Any ideas? You haven't even shown me the page yet...

markthedoc
09-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Got this sorted now, cheers anyway fellas.