PDA

View Full Version : My first site.

gazza
08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
please read*

I ended up doing this site 3 times as i made a few mistakes.. ill probably do it again. I have some updating still to do but thought id whack it on the net quickly as it needs to be up for the members and i want to show people and get some feedback.

ive learnt this over the past 3days.. i dont think ive done too bad. Its my dads site and like i say some bits will probably be changing.
I havnt added any behaviours and stuff to this site as of yet as i may well redo it.. but ill see.

i used Photoshop - Fireworks - Dreamwaever, CSS for text and thats basically it.

http://www.pwjc.tk/

Cheers
Gaz.

davidj
08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
thats a great first site..

remember every time you build a site you get better.

domedia
08-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Very nice for a first site.
Hey, I was once a judo referee. Are you practicing as well, or is your only affiliation the web work?

gazza
08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys. I did it at that club forjust over 11 years.. i quit over 3 years ago now though. But my dad on the left on the pictures page is one of the instructors. Im thinking of joining again soon.

gazza
09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
lol my dad copied files into there by accident and overwrote my dates page with his old dates page and messed some stuff up. oh well looks like ill be doing it for a 4th time.

Creative Insanity
09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
It looks nice BUT.. that frame eeewww.. and what has dating got to do with judo?
I would remove that horrid frame at the top if it was my site.
If you really want that banner then add it to the page without the horrid frame.

gazza
09-02-2006, 12:03 AM
i never used a frame!
exported straight from fireworks as a table.

dates as in upcoming event dates.

gees i learnt how to make a site in a few days. :?

domedia
09-02-2006, 12:56 AM
The site is in a frameset

Creative Insanity
09-02-2006, 04:12 AM
They surely are in a frameset.

<html>

<head>
<title>Parkwood Judo Club</title>
<meta name="description" content="Parkwood Judo club, Kent, England">
<meta name="keywords" content="judo, kent, martial arts, parkwood, sport">
</head>

<frameset rows="85,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="NO">

<frame src="/1157166685264.ban?fldpromonr=2&fldbannernr=1&flddomainnr=629561&country=64&ip=222.152.82.159&fldbannerbackground=FFFFFF&tid=1157166685264" name="dot_tk_frame_top" noresize scrolling="NO">
<frame src="http://www.robfryatt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/" name="dot_tk_frame_content" scrolling="auto" noresize>
</frameset>

<noframes>
<body>
</body>
</noframes>

</html>

d a v e
09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
it's the hosting ;)

Creative Insanity
09-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I think that sucks then.

gazza
09-02-2006, 07:06 PM
im so confused lol.

so my server makes the frame?

Creative Insanity
09-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Gazza.. are you on a free hoster or paid one? If a paid one then I would remove the frameset and put your site up as you intend it to look. If they complain ask them who pays for the hosting and if they still complain go elsewhere.

gazza
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
that site is free hosted with my blueyonder service.

i know frames arent good, and can look crap..but the site seems to work ok and look ok.. is there a problem im unaware of?

dthomsen8
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
that site is free hosted with my blueyonder service.

i know frames arent good, and can look crap..but the site seems to work ok and look ok.. is there a problem im unaware of?

Framesets are not a good idea. There are problems with search engines, and there are certainly better ways to achieve the same effects. Listen to the diamond ranked members and leave them behind.

Since you are not creating the framesets, switch to a paid web hosting company. There are plenty of inexpensive ones. You need a DOCTYPE statement, and you need to specify the language and character set.

By the way, "Tuesday" rather than "tuesday" near the bottom of the page.

gazza
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
ok thanks man.. i would update that error but like i say the files are shot.. itll have to stay how it is for a while until i get the time to redo the site.
the previous site was only an update site made in front page. so that was only frames anyway.. this is better.

ill have to consider paid hosting soon then.

thanks guys.

gregfindley.com
09-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Gazza I think its worth getting some paid hosting for the site, as at present any deisgn you do isn't done justice, because of the frameset and the banner advertisments.

Get some hosting sorted, and put your current design on there, then you can develop it from there. Nice first site design though :)

Greg

davidj
09-07-2006, 09:03 AM
dont you get any free space with your ISP?

dthomsen8
09-09-2006, 03:23 PM
dont you get any free space with your ISP?There are so many inexpensive but paid web hosting companies, that anything else should not be considered for business web sites.

davidj
09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
that anything else should not be considered for business web sites.

i disagree...

it depends on your market and what your offering

if your a 1000 product catalogue shop then yes go down the proffessional hosting path

if your a dog groomer or an Auto Shop or a bakery and want to shout "IM HERE ON THE HIGH STREET" then using your ISP space is fine.