PDA

View Full Version : Basic Shopping Site

Ricky55
08-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi

I've done a few sites now in dreamweaver and a couple in flash but I've never done any form of data base linking / shopping etc.

How do I go about adding shopping cart functionailty to a site, I just want a simple shopping cart system that ends with a credit card payment system.

I just don't know where to start with something like this, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ricky55

davidj
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
if your wanting a robust eshop with payment functionality without the hasstle and you intend to make some money this year then buy a shop-in-a-box. Actinic is very good

if you are wanting to build a shopping cart yourself in 6 months and learn a language at the same time then i would go down the PHP route.

you will need a host with PHP at a later stage. you should however have PHP installed locally.

There is a tutorial on here that will help with the installation (installing WAMP i think its called)

Creative Insanity
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Apache2Triad is better and needs no help installing.. if you can double click an exe file and enter a password then that is all it takes to install Apache2Triad.

Ricky55
08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
cheers guys, is this difficult to setup?

davidj
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
setting up should be straight forward.

The PHP learning bit will be time consuming.
PHP is so powerful it can control time. you will sit down with a small PHP problem and suddenly its 4 hours later!

we all should be time lords

Creative Insanity
08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I hear you there DJ.. missed a ; and found it the next day.. so annoying as the sql error ALWAYS points to 100 lines away LOL.

davidj
08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
right back at ya...

you have an error in line 1

edbr
08-26-2006, 06:02 AM
xxamp is also also self installing and is a much smaller download

Creative Insanity
08-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah but no where as good as a2t in my books ed.

aimee
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I need to create a site with a shopping cart & a subscription service. I am looking at apache2triad and shop-in-a-box (as recommended) and feel completely overwhelmed. Is there someone who would be willing to hold my hand & walk me through this? You would have my undying gratitude.