PDA

View Full Version : Changing Language in site

chriskq
08-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Anyone had any experience changing the language of text within a site.
I've made the site in English, and just last nit my client asked about putting in some sort of function that can change all the text within the site from english to chinese.

http://www.boraboraturtles.com/us/default.htm

That above url changes the language the easy eay, it seems to point to a new page altogether. (using this technique would make it more tedious to update pages and keep text consistant over both language pages)

Has anyone used a javascript css version, where on click of a flag or language link it dynamically changes the font type or something?

any help appreciated. Thanks

davidj
08-24-2006, 08:27 AM
im sure there is good translation software out there but its gramma (< not old ladies) where these things fall over. Software has a problem with context and phrasing. Just try google translator (chinese -> english)

I would steer away from this and translate the text properly into seperate sites. If that what your client wants.

remember to pass this cost on..

Creative Insanity
08-24-2006, 07:16 PM
yeah I would do the same as DJ. Another note would be to place in the contract ALL SITES ARE DONE IN ENGLISH. LOL

I steer well away from other languages.. shit I can't even speak my own properly LOL.

chriskq
08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Rodget that guys!

makes sense. Think ill stick to the easy option and jsut point the chinese version of the site in a seperate folder on ftp. Eg: www.namehere.com/ch/index.html

thanks for advice, unfortunatly no extra monies for this. I've alreadly been paid and me stupidly sed yeah ill have a look into it... bit of an opps. but yea - bring on the quick fix i say

davidj
08-25-2006, 07:28 AM
shit I can't even speak my own properly LOL.

Err its my language CI.. You just use it...

along long time ago a ship carrying prisoners ......

you get the picture!

Creative Insanity
08-25-2006, 08:24 AM
yeah and they raped and pillaged my land and killed or inslaved all the native people and stole all their land..
Yeah I get the picture.. you lot are theives LOL.