PDA

View Full Version : need confirmation on testing a flash music player.

chriskq
08-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi all,
i have gone to heaps of trouble to get this music player working as a pop up page on a clients site. He has told me the player is not working in his internet explorer browser(i think it may be service pack 1 - not 100% sure thou).

i have integrated the music player with the ie_update swf object javascript (so you do not have to click to activate)

but its not working on his machine (ive tested at work and at home on variety of browsers and it seems fine to me)

the site is currently in a test folder so its not live yet and i would appreciate if everyone could have a go to see if the flash player starts playing automatically.

(in reply do u mind listing the pc and browser type u tested on - i need to get to the bottom of this)

url to test http://www.tlsolutions.com.au/now/

may as well make a poll, i never use this feature

Creative Insanity
08-16-2006, 02:21 AM
I gotta say that would ANNOY the hell out of me as popups are not nice when not expected. Thank god it doesn't work in FF.

He may have the popup blocker in IE turned on which would kill it anyway.

chriskq
08-16-2006, 02:57 AM
i know. i h8 pop ups too. i tired to tell its bad practice etc etc.... but he was persistant on wanting it -so he got it.
It works in my FireFox - not urs coz u have pop blocker on?
does it work in ur ie CI ? - ta.

Andromeda
08-16-2006, 04:16 AM
sorry can't help. I have pop ups blocked on both IE and FF

chriskq
08-16-2006, 04:41 AM
so did it work or not thou? i have pop up blocker on and it works on mine.
chars

Andromeda
08-16-2006, 05:06 AM
I don't get any music in either browser. (using pc)

domedia
08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
pop-up got blocked in my browser as well.
With the current status on pop-up blockers, you might want to find another solution?

chriskq
08-17-2006, 01:09 AM
i've run through all the feasible possible solutions in my head and none of them seem to work.
Music has to be play whilst navigating thru the site, i dont want to build the whole site in flash coz im not that good at it yet and i've never used frames - which im really not that keen on, but i guess could be the easy solution.

i could put the top banner in a static frame with the grey nav, and just make a content window change below.
would this be a easy process to convert ? and would any javascript get messed up if its being used in a frame ?

anyone mind giving me a hand here, or any simple frame tut's ?

Creative Insanity
08-17-2006, 02:55 AM
If they absolutly want the music and there is no way around it you could make your index file a frameset with two frames.. one being a tiny (about 5 - 10px) at the top and the other being the rest of the space and name them like (small one) music and (larger one) site and then your index now could be the larger one.
Not the best solution as SEs would have a problem, but if they want the music then the old saying comes about. 'What you gain on the roundabout you loose on the swings.'
Also doing in this manner will not cause the music to repeat when the page content changes.

dreamlynx
08-17-2006, 07:48 AM
dude, get rid of the annoying popup. put the on the page itself, smaller with a turn off function.

Creative Insanity
08-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Is knowing it all the beginning of knowledge or the beginning of stupidity.
Naa..it is the beginning of old age LOL

chriskq
08-18-2006, 02:32 AM
put the on the page itself, smaller with a turn off function.

i do have that alreadly (so if a person has pop ups off, or closed the player) they can re-open and close it.

i hate frames, i've never used em and not really keen to start now. But guess i gotta bite the bullet. .... all this for one song only aswel, so not worth it..... shudder**

Creative Insanity
08-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Personally I think site music is a pain unless it fits.

domedia
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
i hate frames, i've never used em and not really keen to start now. But guess i gotta bite the bullet. .... all this for one song only aswel, so not worth it..... shudder** You're going to jepordize the website because of sound? :shock:
Read this page, or send to client :) they don't know so it's your job to educate them. If they don't trust you, you shouldn't be working with them in the first place ;)
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200411/who_framed_the_web_frames_and_usability/