PDA

View Full Version : New look site design

gregfindley.com
08-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi guys,

What do you think of my new look site? www.gregfindley.com

Please ignore the lack of home page at present, still working on this and the contact page. My previous site received critisism as it only had a few work examples, hopefully the new portfolios cover this area.

Opinions and feedback please!
Thanks,
Greg

Andromeda
08-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Greg, I'm sure the rest of the site looks great but it can't be found at the time of posting this message. :?

Creative Insanity
08-15-2006, 04:27 AM
Yeah it is there and I must say that I am not keen on dark colours for a business site.
Looks a little plain also.

Andromeda
08-15-2006, 04:47 AM
OK. The page was cached.

I liked the old site. Don't like this one sorry. :(

Can't you just add portfolios to your old site?

gregfindley.com
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your replies guys,

The more I look at it, the more I think you guys are right! I orginally wanted the dark colours to make a feature of the portfolio images.

Now working on a combination of old and new site! :D as youve suggested!

Thanks!
Greg

RonCioffi
08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Greg,

Very nice content. But the home page is much too plain and it acts as a splash page. Display some of your best sites, logos, printing on the home page. Add some animation and give it some life.

I really like how your logo examples work. Is this flash or java script or something else?

Ron

d a v e
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
"I really like how your logo examples work. Is this flash or java script or something else?"
yeah it's cool it's this : http://codylindley.com/Javascript/257/thickbox-one-box-to-rule-them-all

gregfindley.com
08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
d a v e is correct

Its Thick Box, which reminds me I need a link for that on my resources page! ;)

Greg

gregfindley.com
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi guys,

Done a bit more work on my site,
Do you think it looks any better now?

It seems to be going down well with my target market, which is small business and start-up business owners.

Thanks,
Greg

domedia
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow. It looks very pro Greg, I think you should stop making improvements right now ;)

gregfindley.com
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks domedia :D

Someone on another forum mentioned I should perhaps change the colour at top for the logo and navigation just to make it stand out a bit, what do you think?

Cheers,
Greg

domedia
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I think it's good. You've followed common conventions with sticking the nav on top, and it's consistent. What more can they ask for? If the purpose of the site is to 'show off' the nav, then go ahead and make it stand out more ;)
Noone should have a problem navigation your site right now, and the focus is on the content, which is right.

gregfindley.com
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks domedia :D
I'm gonna keep it as it is, I'm happy with it

Creative Insanity
09-06-2006, 07:21 PM
greg.. stop where you are right now.. any more and it will spoil it.
Still not keen on the dark colours myself.. but as you have it now works.

dthomsen8
09-06-2006, 07:22 PM
You have <center> above the head. Center is obsolete, and never would go before the body in any case. Use CSS for centering instead.

I suggest that you run HTML validation at www.w3.org and remove all the warnings from your site. This is a good learning experience, and having no warnings gives confidence to those who might hire you for work.

gregfindley.com
09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
OK thanks CI :D (the colour will err... grow on you im sure!)

Thanks dthomsen,
Will get onto that ASAP

Thanks for comments everyone, as ever very helpful!

Creative Insanity
09-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Naa I don't think it will greg.. hehe I have never been a fan of dark sites as to me they perdict a clan or hobby type site.
I look at professional (company and corp sites) as light, crisp. and clean.