PDA

View Full Version : Web design

fodder
08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Well i would like to web design for a job and have applied to a few things but dont seem to get anywhere. I feel this is due to lack of experience and possibly knowledge.

What I would like to know is:

What do you think one should know in order to be successful?

I have a good knowledge of HTML/XHTML and CSS but thats about it. I am willing to learn anything new really but dont know where to start.

any advice/help much appreciated

davidj
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
You need a good portfolio of work. Even if the work is for non existing companies which you have made up.

take a look at the pro web sites and get an idea of what level you have to become to get recognised. Remember that the company you apply for a job at has to ask them selves... "This guy is talented and i want him to be part of us as a designer"

gone are the days when you could apply for a Web Designer or a Web Developer roll as seperate jobs. The market has changed big time and you need to encompass both skillsets

its easy in my opinion to teach anyone to code. Wether that be HTML or Javascript or PHP but the hardest task if not impossible is to teach design.

to sum up....

you need allot of Quality (emphasize Quality) work

theagro
08-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Agreed DJ. I have made up several fake companies over the years to work for. I have even went as far as getting a domain for some of those companies. But at the same time, I also do visual communications (brochures, business cards etc..) and a good portfolio with a lot of work is essential.

paulreitz
08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I would recommend learning a scripting language like ASP. Personally, I use PHP, but ASP seems to be more in demand, at least in my area. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to become at least familiar with Java Script.

gazza
08-28-2006, 07:17 PM
its easy in my opinion to teach anyone to code. Wether that be HTML or Javascript or PHP but the hardest task if not impossible is to teach design.

to sum up....

you need allot of Quality (emphasize Quality) work

Thats what my dad said, so very true.

dthomsen8
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
You need a good portfolio of work. Even if the work is for non existing companies which you have made up.

Another way to get a good portfolio is to do web sites for small non-profit organizations, where you work cheap or free, but get them to pay for the domain names and web hosting fees. Get them to agree to have a credit for you on their home page, though.

Godaddy has very reasonable domain name registration and web hosting, and there are others.