PDA

View Full Version : why that scrollbar? (it shouldn't be there)

krky
08-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi, i have a really big prob with DreamweaverMX04.:x

It acts completely unexpectedly to me.

I get horizontal scrollbar in my IE prewiev with no reason at all.:cry:

Why this scrollbar appears, if ther's a lot of free space on the right side?
I decreased the size of my (only) table (6x4) in the central frame, just to see what will happen, and yes the scroll is there.
I removed all contents from the table, except the only (medium size) picture, with no avail.
If i remove the picture (empty table), scrollbar disappears.

(resolution 800*600, 15"mon)
(left.htm - column: 135 px)
(main.htm /problematic/ - column: 1 relative)

I'd enclose the file here, if that would be of some help.

Many thanks in advance

krky
08-06-2006, 03:57 AM
scrolling="NO" in the main frame did solve the problem, but the question remains, what it actually needs to scroll ??

I also think this (scrolling="NO") might be dangerous if a visitor goes with resolution lower then 800x600.

edit:
oops, now i don't have vertical scrollbar too (and i need it), so the scrolling="NO" is definitely not a solution.

edit2:
and i've just realized, that this horiz. scrollbar doesn't appear in FF !!!

Creative Insanity
08-06-2006, 06:50 AM
A look would be of great help.

krky
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Here you go.

Thanks

p.s.
in the meantime i found on the net that this unwanted H scroll is actually common problem with IE.

Creative Insanity
08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Why the hell are you using frames for that page?
A layout like that DOES not need frames. No wonder it side scrolls with the table size and also the menus.

Let me fix that sucker and remove that HORRID frameset.

Creative Insanity
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok..
Your horrid frameset in one file.
Your problem was that you have one frame at 95% and then the nav frame was more than 5% which would cause the side scroll at any size really.
With it in one file and controled by the 100% table you will not get the side scrolling.
Try and keep away from using framesets they are nasty horrid things.

The image (white text) remove the background from the text and just have the text with a transparant bg gif file and that would make lining up the bricks not needed. I never bothered trying to line them up.

krky
08-07-2006, 12:08 AM
thanks very much for your adaptation and advices regarding frames. :)
now, i must do some 'investigations' about all this, and comming soon back (with a few extra questions). :roll:

krky
08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Creative,
i completely accepted your advice for no-frames layout, and i changed the white title picture too.

Yet, i can't leave the things that are not clear enough to me (just for the sake of knowledge :)), and maybe someday i will have to make a frame based site, so ..

So if(when) you have some dump-time, i'd have a lot of little questions.
For that purpose i attached a new old (colored tables) version of the frameset site.

Well:
1) why the green table cannot be moved left (to the edge of the page) ?
2) why the white table cannot be moved left (to the edge of its page)?
3)although i set left.htm width to 20%, and main to 80%, i'm stil getting the H scrollbar? (could you maybe send to me a frame based version without scrollbar :oops:)
4) all this allignment options (for each element) are very confusing to me. For instance, i have allignment in a table, in a column, in a cell, for a cell content (picture)... which of them are actually 'in charge' (i've noticed that some of them sometimes actually make no change at all)
5) is there a way in DW, to move objects (tables) with a mouse, in an exact position i want?
6) why in this layout i cannot see a green arrow markers for the white table (to select column or table)?

I apologize for this amount of questions :oops:

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Creative Insanity
08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Gimme a few hours.. tad busy right now.

krky
08-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Of course, nothing's urgent.

By the way, i solved the 6th with: table, align=default.

edit:
1) & 2) are not so important, let's not lose time with it.