PDA

View Full Version : computer crash. backup installation Q

chriskq
08-05-2006, 02:27 AM
Hey all,
my computer is in need of reformatting, as it is running too slow. I just bought a external hd which will be good for backing up.
My Q is this: if i copy my entire c drive onto my ex h/d, when my computer is newly reformatted could i just drop my old program files folder (or its contents) back in the c drive and then replace desktop shortcuts so effectivly i dont have to install all my programs again (the ones i want to keep)

will this work i mean? Or wen u install a program does windows add other bits of data to other places?

Ps - does anyone kno of a good reformatting xp how to guide?
thanks all

Creative Insanity
08-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Some programs add stuff to windows dll files in system and system32.

I would try a defrag first as that can speed a system up no end.

ramandeep
08-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I dont think so copying just the files back from c: will do, all programs get its entry in registry and when you reinstall your OS, there will be no entries in registry.

My suggestion:
Backup your things and give it a fresh Install.
If you got an external storage then that can help you manage your files in future if you partition it as per relevance of your files.

I got a setup where all work gets stored on server from all the computers and when we reinstall after some time we just backup Outlook and bookmarks.

That makes life of the designer easy otherwise backing up your system is hell lot of work and after 3-4 backups searching files becomes a pain.

so make effective use of your external storage and manage it properly.

edbr
08-14-2006, 05:35 AM
Heres my night mare. saturday my c drive went ape and I got the message that drive had become corrupted. I tried to reinstall windoews but had no option but to format the drive. As I had backed up fairly recently i wasnt to worried.
When I finished the re install I found that the folder on my data partition was in accesible as possibly a protected file.
I dont remember ever protecting it but does any one know a way around this?

One annoying thing I hadnt thought of was that I lost all my bookmars in the browsers. I hadnt thought of that

davidj
08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
best way would be to ghost your drive using software like norton ghost (there are others)

it takes a snapshot of your drive and compresses it for future use. If your machine was to go down then all you do is install the ghost file

as for your problems your having now..Is all the data on that partition inaccessable? or just that one folder? if so then i think you have a corruption

Try accessing it from the command line. You can get some recovery software for such problems but you will have to get your wallet out

edbr
08-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks. It is only one folder and I probably will live with it as I had backed it up to an external drive also and there it is OK, just a couple of weeks worth which I have pretty much caught up with.
As for the file recovery do you know any names I could check out?

Creative Insanity
08-16-2006, 01:50 AM
getdataback has saved my life many times.

edbr
08-21-2006, 01:54 AM
I will have a look at that for the future foul ups. i just added linux as dual boot, to my computer and found that I could open the folder.