PDA

View Full Version : Keep the main page the same

Soad
07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I want to design a site so that when I click on something the main page stays the same such as titles nav bar etc but only the center changes, any help appreciated

chriskq
08-01-2006, 03:00 AM
thats making a site using a technique called 'frames'.
this is an outdated technique but can stil be used if coded well. i myself have never made a whole site using frames (maybe a few iframes here and there)

Whats the reason(s) why u want to use frames. Using css and divs can provide u with a much more stable webpage.

if your only wanting to use it so you only have to make a change in one spot to update the banner image for example, then this can be achived using server side lanuage and wrapping up the content in an include file. (php, asp, aspx or shtml can provide this functionality)

Soad
08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
This is something like it, how can this be done in Dreamweaver 8, not found much info on iframes

http://www.lisboa-x.com/

Thanks

domedia
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Dreamweaver Templates

theagro
08-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Templates, the way to go!

stakesbyarmskeane
08-15-2006, 01:38 AM
hi!
iv just started to use these tonight to create a site
basically create a template page with a table, your menu and everything on it yeh?
the main section of the table(where you want info to change_ you need to right click and make it into an editable region

once you have saved the template, simply edit the editable region then save it as that page, then repeat the proces so you have a load of pages saved
go back to your template, and link all the pages in your menu bar, and if iv explained it properly, you should then preview it and when u click the linksa the basis of the site stays the same whilst the main region changes to suit the link
chris

please dnt hesistae to ask if iv confused you!

paulreitz
08-15-2006, 02:08 AM
that site is using an iframe. They are nice and make the site look clean, but they are messy to code. Like every one else said, you're better off using a template

Creative Insanity
08-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Correct it uses iframes cause I created it.
The skin was done by a mate and the code by me. Real easy stuff.

paulreitz
08-15-2006, 02:42 AM
looks good, I love the interface. I still say that iframes are messy to code, although it works for your site :)

Creative Insanity
08-15-2006, 05:33 AM
It is not my site.. it was done for a music producer/DJ called Lisboa-X who is a member of the best music producers help site around. dandont.com.

Also iframes are not messy. Some people still like them (including myself).
Why do you say it is messy.. give reasons. If you are going to say that w3c doesn't like them then please do not bother as I could not give a toss what w3c thinks.. it is the person that I am developing for and their audiance that I care about.

paulreitz
08-15-2006, 05:49 AM
More or less personal preference. I use them when I have to, but avoid them if I can. I hope you don't think I was critisizing the site you built. Like I said, the site looks great and the iframe works.

chriskq
08-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Whats this site all about then.?
http://www.kenmight.com/ :?:

Creative Insanity
08-15-2006, 08:14 AM
LOL that is my site Chris. LOL
That is just the front end and it you look further you will find.

http://www.kenmight.com/dandont