PDA

View Full Version : Earning a Living From Website Development

stoneygossard
07-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Guys,

Can u help me out with some honest advice here.I want to earn a living from website stuff. I am a programmer and heavily into CSS these days.Can i work from home hoenstly or is it just a myth? please advise me?

Stoney

ramandeep
07-30-2006, 09:09 PM
There is no doubt nowdays its becoming a trend that companies give options to designers to work from home. It does saves them money aswell.

But working from home is not easy until you know how to manage your personal life and professional.

I will suggest you that you should think of your sources of getting work before you take a plunge, the biggest plus point is you keep your overheads low but the biggest hurdle aswell is getting projects as there is no or very small budget on advertising yourself.

there is lots of stuff available on net about this topic, i will suggest you to go thru it.

Whateve decision you make, i wish you goodluck for your future!

dthomsen8
07-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Some of the people doing website development only work part-time with another job, or are retired and doing it to add to the pension benefits. They can afford to work for less than those who are trying to earn a decent living from doing it full time.

Finding clients is actually the more difficult task than actually doing the work, though.

Creative Insanity
07-31-2006, 03:46 AM
I know many that do this (including myself). As ram said it is not as easy as you may think as there are WAY more distractions at home (even more if you still have children at home) then you may believe.
One method is (and the one I use) is to have the light system. Above my door there are 2 sets of LEDS, one green and one red. When red is on keep away from me. Then it is just a matter of educating the family to obey the LEDs.

I personally do not hunt for the jobs I let someone else do that and just sub for a number of web houses. This gives me more time to actually earn and no time is wasted on hunting. Once you get a good rep with a few houses you will get enough work to keep you out of the pub.

d a v e
07-31-2006, 06:07 AM
"you will get enough work to keep you out of the pub." or enough work to keep you IN the pub :)

ramandeep
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
read this,
http://www.freelancedaddy.com/

stoneygossard
07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have only graduated this year having studied for 7 yrs by night for an honours degree. I am a 32 yr old husband with 2 kids under the age of three so the distractions thing is a hurdle straight away - But having studied for so long I have developed ways and means to get around this!

As a programmer ( I studied Java a lot so am studying php now) I have a fairly good understanding of programming techniques etc but I haven't dealt much with design stuff hence I am currently studying CSS.

But you know what, I'm sick of studying!.So I guess this question is aimed at Creative Insanity. I am only starting out on the road of picking up some work so what would you suggest I concentrate on and what steps do u think I need to take to get some part time work?Can I just email a web house and ask them for some work or how does it generally work? And also, I am in Ireland, so being "the web", can I work for companies that operate from e.g. USA?
Thanks
Stoney

Creative Insanity
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
I am only starting out on the road of picking up some work so what would you suggest I concentrate on and what steps do u think I need to take to get some part time work?Can I just email a web house and ask them for some work or how does it generally work? And also, I am in Ireland, so being "the web", can I work for companies that operate from e.g. USA?

I am in New Zealand (but not for long) and I work for houses in Australia, USA, England, Koria, China and Europe. Your location is not a barrier with the Internet. But what you have to be aware of is the fees attached to wire transfers for payment as most houses will put them on to you.

All I can do is tell you how I get contracts.

Well first you need to get a portfolio site together. I have a site that is not public and is only given to houses under the Privacy Act. On that site is a little bit about me (not too big here as these corp type people HATE reading books), and an example of my skills. Since I work mainly on the back end stuff the look for me is not the factor but functionality is the key here. Since you are learning CSS etc I guess you are going for looks also. All the houses I work for have their own designers so that part I do not care about.

The next step is to do a search for web houses and get lots of names here. Then research them big time. Make sure they are good companies with a good rep. You don't want to be working for places over the other end of the world that have a rep of ripping contractors off. So research is a must.
Once the houses that are prefered are sussed out I then send them a short and to the point email of who I am and what I can do and a link to my private site. Many will not reply (nature of the beast) but if you persist in researching and sending out you will get one that will reply.

The way to get a good rep is to do a job once properly and bug free and as they expect and speed is good here also, but most contracts have a deadline date anyway, so don't miss that. Also get a fax machine, as you will need that to send back a faxed copied of the contracts and that gets the ball rolling faster. You still have to post the original though, but faxing a copy saves you a couple of days.

I see your BIGGEST hurdle here is your children being so young, as at that age they do not understand why daddy is telling them he cannot play right now, as all they know is that if daddy is at home then daddy can play.
Also get a room (or something) outside the house. I worked in a little shed out side when I started up and just lined it. To children that young if daddy is out of site then daddy is out of mind. But it is still going to be very distracting for you at first and you will have to be very disiplined to succeed. You can also set your work hours at a differant time. I use to start at 11pm and work untill around 4pm and then go to bed. I found working at those hours there was absolutly no distractions what so ever and I got more done at those times then if I had of been working say from 8am to 4pm.

So good luck, you have a hard road ahead of you, but persist and you will get there.

stoneygossard
07-31-2006, 06:07 PM
So good luck, you have a hard road ahead of you, but persist and you will get there.

Creative,

I really appreciate this advice and am most thankful to you. Would it be ok to maybe email you in private about some things? If not it's ok as you have been more than helpful as it is.

I realise I have a hard road ahead of me but I am not a quitter (7 yrs of college by night aint easy!).So maybe i'll be talking to you.

Thnks again

Stoney

Andromeda
07-31-2006, 07:50 PM
I am in New Zealand (but not for long)

CI. Why? Where are you going??? What's wrong with New Zealand? (yes, I know it's cold). RH won't be the same without you!